Last Year I Told You So!

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Last Year I Told You So!

Postby miki02131 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:31 pm

To all,

Last year, on this forum, I predicted that touch screen technology, native to Win 7, will innovate and revolutionize the computing interface to the point that both the "hard keyboard" and the mouse will become absolete in the near future. As a result, I was attacked and ridiculed. Just as I thought the near future was few decades away, the apple ipad seems to change everything and bring that future a lot closer and sooner than expected. Basically the Ipad relegates both the mouse and hard keyboard from primary to secondary components. Some even predict that the Ipad will soon replace the Laptop which also means the end of the ubiquitous mouse and hard keyboard. Now that you see, that my prediction is coming true, are you willing to admit that you were wrong bashing and ridiculing me?

The only unfortunate thing, as a PC person, is that Apple seems to be taking the lead in innovation and domination. And Yes, I am still PC but I can't just let the future passing by without saying anything. Agree?

Thanks,

Miki Out.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:12 pm

I think you were being ridiculed because it appeared you said windows 7 would cause this. Which it didn't. Apple did. If you look where Bill stole the UI for windows from you would have known where to look for new things...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:33 am

Also. remember that the iPad isn't a "computer" as such. It's a giant iPod Touch, and as such, doesn't run true OSX applications. It's a niche product for people who want a larger screen than the iPod, but don't have the need for pure processing power on the go. There still isn't a full touchscreen, soft keyboard computer on the market.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Copper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:04 am

. Some even predict that the Ipad will soon replace the Laptop

just watch what Sony is doing with Televisions
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby miki02131 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:35 am

evasive wrote:I think you were being ridiculed because it appeared you said windows 7 would cause this. Which it didn't. Apple did....

That's not completely true. Remember the HP Tablet demotrasted by Balmer during the Win 7 roll out. Thus direcly or indirectly Win 7 has everything to do with it. Apple just takes the flow and ride with it. One might even argue if win 7 didn't integrate touch screen, apple wouldn't have rushed the development of the Ipad. The fault should be on the PC manufacturers lack of innovation. Microsoft gave them the tools natively in win 7, they just fail to capitalize and take full advantage of them. I have to admit that PC manufacturer nowadays are lagging behind Apple.

As a matter of fact, we already today have touch screen Laptop available but no Macbook touch screen. However, although the win 7 touch screen system is first, it might take the Mcbook touch screen to package and popularize touch screen laptop/desktop and finally kills the hard keyboard and mouse. When this happen, remember Apple didn't have the first touch screen laptop. Win 7 touch laptops are first but Apple will just present a better package and take the lead once again.

Miki Out.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 am

I've got a 2006 IBM ThinkTablet - sure it has a keyboard and mouse, but it will accept input from hand drawn letters on a Tablet Interface (using a Stylus).

If it's click and play you're talking about - what about the (Google) Droid phones ?
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:25 pm

or you could say Apple has the first commercially viable product out, whatever.

it's not the first time a good idea does not make it entirely to the stores. where is the all new winFS? do we have an RTM for that? Or even a remotely accurate ETA?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm

thomas_w_bowman wrote:I've got a 2006 IBM ThinkTablet - sure it has a keyboard and mouse, but it will accept input from hand drawn letters on a Tablet Interface (using a Stylus).

If it's click and play you're talking about - what about the (Google) Droid phones ?

Or my Pre, for that matter. Both of those phones are capable of multitasking (apps, not phone, but that's a limitation of Verizon, and Sprint, somewhat.......apparently I'm in an area where Sprint has enabled VoIP calling so I can take a call while doing internet stuff or multiplayer gaming), the only difference being the smaller app catalog. If anything, the iPad is less of a computer than those two phones, and to an extent, even lesser than Apple's own iPhone.

Also, HP put out the Touchsmart line several months ago, running Windows 7, but there's very little in the way of software that work well with the interface, which is why they still have physical keyboards as well.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby asassin' » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 am

For how many years was the imminent demise of the floppy touted by the sages?
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:29 am

Here come the Clones...

Rival tablets ready to bite into iPad lead
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/ed1ac0b6-6c1f ... ab49a.html
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree