Which windows to install on my new computer

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Which windows to install on my new computer

Postby PhantomSphinx » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:48 pm

syrianrue wrote:Hi guys,

i'm planningon building a new computer, but was wondering if anyone has any reviews on windows 7. Being an xp user for years, should i upgrade to windows 7?

obviously, xp would be a safe bet since it's something i've already used for years.. but is windows 7 really that good?

what are the improvements in 7 from xp? i would think with all those graphical interface (same with vista) that they might lag the system a bit compare to xp.

if your planning to use windows 7 you must considere the other part of the cpu like the Video Card, RAM, Hard disk etc.

windows 7 requires a high memory of those parts because it is not fast if you don't use a high memory.

it is useless if you use windows 7 but not to upgrade you CPU part.

those two things must go hand in hand.

of course windows 7 is good as long as you follow my advice.
PhantomSphinx
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Windows 7 takes up more resources and makes your system run slower then XP would.

Windows XP also entered an extended support phase until 08/04/2014.

I am personally going to continue to use XP until such time that it can't offer what I am looking for.
(Did the same with Windows 98SE, before switching to XP...)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Personally, I find Windows 7 to run as fast, if not faster, than XP on my rig. It's all a matter of tweaking, same as always. If the OP is looking for a good system with expandability on the RAM, Win 7 x64 is by far the best way to go.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Copper » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:12 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:Personally, I find Windows 7 to run as fast, if not faster, than XP on my rig. It's all a matter of tweaking, same as always. If the OP is looking for a good system with expandability on the RAM, Win 7 x64 is by far the best way to go.

i agree
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Twisty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 am

A benefit of switching to windows 7 is DirectX 11

[OT - I booted into windows 3.1 a few weeks ago and forgot how funky the interface was in a retro way]
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Twisty wrote:[OT - I booted into windows 3.1 a few weeks ago and forgot how funky the interface was in a retro way]

Back in 1993/1994 the default was 16-color VGA. You were lucky to have a 512 KB ISA video card.. and a 1 meg ISA video card would set you back a half-week's pay! But you could get 256 VGA colors. Spending more might get you resolution in "high color" 16-bit of 1024x768! The Vesa feature could give you up to 32-bit color depth, with up to 4 megs of video memory!! The PCI expansion slots were just coming into wide use.
Still have my OEM disks for Win 3.1 and Win 3.11, plus an ancient Win 3.0 set! About the only drivers needed for the OS (DOS) were the IDE driver and the video driver for extended mode.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Operating Systems