Diagnosing Windows 7 Performance Issues

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Diagnosing Windows 7 Performance Issues

Postby scruffy » Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 am

A broad question and a specific question.

I have a Windows 7 laptop with an i7-2860QM processor, 28Gb of RAM and two SSDs (one for the OS and one for data), and a workstation graphics card. Yet I frequently have issues with the computer running slow. I know there can be lots of different kinds of bottlenecks and many causes of lackluster performance. (For example, The W520 only supports my OS SSD at 3Gb/s.)

1) I know a lot has been written on optimizing Windows performance. I'm not asking anyone to re-invent the wheel. Can someone recommend a resource for methodically diagnosing, identifying, and solving Windows 7 performance issues? I'm familiar with the Performance Monitor, but don't know how to use it effectively to trace my issue(s).

2) Here's a sample issue I had. Today, I opened a large Excel spreadsheet (300MB), whichI eventually pared it down and then created a Pivot Table. Now that Excel window--and only that one window--will not completely appear/refresh when activated in any manner, despite appearing to run fine (per the Task Manager) and not taking up any CPU. I can open a separate Excel instance and that instance shows on screen fine. This is an example of the kind of performance issue I run into. Can anyone tell me what the underlying cause of this particular problem is? Is it just a Windows bug, or does it indicate some issue with my setup (e.g., video issue, swap file, RAM, etc.)?

Any recommendations (except "move to another operating system") are much appreciated.
scruffy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Diagnosing Windows 7 Performance Issues

Postby Mr T » Fri May 18, 2018 9:58 am

7 year old CPU, 8 year old Operating system with a multitude of patches and bug fixes. New software optimized for new operating system i.e. Windows 10 (unfortunately). I updated to Windows 10 as soon as I could on all my systems running windows (unfortunately need windows for some things).
Unfortunately windows 7 is not great on SSD's either, should be, but isn't - make sure both SSD's are running in ACHI mode from the BIOS, make sure all drivers are up to date. Make sure TRIM for the SSD's is working - DO NOT run defrag on the SSD's.
For the age of the hardware it should still be pretty nippy, can you post the results of Performance Monitor?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: Diagnosing Windows 7 Performance Issues

Postby scruffy » Fri May 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks for your response and willingness to help, Mr. T.

I'll be pre-occupied for a couple days, but I'll post something soon.
scruffy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Operating Systems