Can on board yideo be disabled in BIOS in my computer?Help?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Can on board yideo be disabled in BIOS in my computer?Help?

Postby PatJan » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:33 pm

I have a HP Pavilion6735kr computer with a Cognac motherboard. I run Windows ME, Intel Celeron 633MHz processor,Intel810Lchipset,319 MB RAM and have 11 MB shared memory,integrated graphics,with an avaolable PCI slot.I have tried to have 2 different video cards installed, Radeon 7000 64 MB and GeForce 4MX400 64 MB.The Radeon didn't work at all and the Geforce 4would make the computer freeze up during internet and game play,so I had it removed. One person said there was no way the on board video can be disabled in BIOS ,only in windows, and another said he did disable it but the card just freezes up so there is another problem. I'm so confused! I would appreciate it if anyone can help me with this problem.Thanks!
PatJan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:40 pm

If this system has the same skimpy power supply as the eMachines the Cognac board is used in, then that is the problem. Any chance of posting the wattage rating?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby PatJan » Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:35 am

Hi Thanks for looking at my post. I don't know what the wattage rating is.I just found out something interesting about HP.A tech support person at a video card company I called said he has seen this thousands of times with HP's. He said you have to contact HP and find out how to remove a jumper on the motherboard to totally disable on board video so a video card will work without any problems. Have you ever heard of this?Thanks!
PatJan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:54 pm

TriGem Cognac allright:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_c ... 07169.html

But they forgot to list how to disable the onboard video.

http://www.e4all.info/motherboards/cogcmosadv.htm

Under Advanced Chipset Control, set Default Primary Video Adapter to PCI, save and exit, power down, insert video card and you should be able to boot with monitor connected to add-in video card.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS