Upgrade to Windows XP - Chaintech CT-7AIV2 Motherboard

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Upgrade to Windows XP - Chaintech CT-7AIV2 Motherboard

Postby Rosemary » Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:41 pm

PLEASE PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP - I AM A COMPLETE NOVICE! I have recently become disabled and had to get voice activated software. I was advised it wouldn't run too well on Windows ME so I bought the XP upgrade thinking it would be a dawdle to do. How wrong was I. I got no fewer than 17 blue screens saying dll, sys, nls and sys files couldn't be copied; also dxdiag.exe and mmc.exe.

In addition to this I got 3 not copied correctly screens and then a blue screen of death saying the upgrade had been stopped as damage could be done to my pc.

I have been told by my PC manufacturer that I need to flash the BIOS using the website upgrades at CHAINTECH. This may sound easy to some folk but I am a 40 something female with only one (left) arm and am desperate to get this sorted.

Do I need to call in an expert? My PC manufacturer has warned that I could do fatal damage to my PC. Is this likely? The PC is only 18 months old and has 384 Mb RAM 20 GB hard drive and an Athlon 900 MHz processor

I would be so greatful to anyone who would help me here with advice.

MANY MANY THANKS AND GOD BLESS, YOU ARE ALL DOING A GREAT JOB!!

:roll:
Rosemary
Rosemary
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:56 pm

A BIOS Flash is something that cannot be done with voice software, so unless you are able to use the keyboard, it might be a good idea to call a PC tech or something.
You would have to download the BIOS to a boot disk, along with the flash file and reboot into DOS and flash from there.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

thanks 4 reply

Postby Rosemary » Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:19 pm

i can use the keyboard one handed and have help too at the moment from my daughter. can you tell me please which download it is I have to put onto floppy and what to do. I understand that I have to use the floppy to boot from - the rest is the mystery!

Many many thanks for replying so soon
Rosemary
Rosemary
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:04 pm

This how to guide should give you all the information you need to help flash your BIOS:
http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... /42_1.html

In order to find out which update to download though, you will have to provide the model # of the motherboard inside the computer. If you are unsure, post the BIOS String from the bottom of the post screen during the memory test
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS