bios settings

Postby Tom Taylor » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:24 am

p111 900cpu
512 mb ram
creative mb
award bios moo3 (just upgraded)
soundblaster live platinum

what settings in bios controls mp3 and wave play back buffers; if any. :roll:
the reason I ask is for about a year my mp3 filed played correctly,now for some reason they skip and stutter
the only changes I have made to the computer was in preparation to install a second hd. I moved all the mp3 files to smaller folders so they could be backed up on cd's. I have 2 wd 7200 hd's. when I had only one hd all worked correctly, then I installed a second hd and the bios would not reconize it,(to large) I left it installed but unpowered while I ordered a new bios
at this point is where the players started to skip. currently the new bios is installed and both hd's work, but I have downloaded new drivers from soundblaster and tried every setting I can find still no change both the windows player and the creative player skip and stutter as though they were running out of buffer or the info was not being transfered fast enough to keep the players playing. can this problem be corrected in bios settings. if so how- if not need other reccomendation
Tom Taylor
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:08 am

That is a pretty strange problem.

If the hard drive is put on slave, try putting it as master on the secondary channel and see if that fixes the issue.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tom Taylor » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:39 pm

Today I was working on this problem and decided to let norton anti virus monitor my cpu activity. and every time the mp3 player skipped or stuttered the processor pegged out at 100% then dropped back to about 5 to 7 percent and played normal. does this tell you anything or is this normal activity. there was no other programs running at the time but the player. would running out of buffer cause the processor to hit 100%.
NO computer NO music HELP I'm having withdrawel symptoms. I forgot to mention the sound card is onboard the mb any suggestions as where the slowing of data transfer could be.
Tom Taylor
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to BIOS