BIOS setting questions

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIOS setting questions

Postby lil boi phreak » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:43 pm

got some settings in the the bios i was wondering if anyone could shed some light and tell me what should be done. k

amd athlon 2200xp, msi KT3-Ultra2-R, 512MB Corsair XMS pc2700, Geforce4 4600ti, 80gig hdd (ata-100, IDE3 master), cdrom (IDE1 master), TDKVeloCD (IDE2 master). ok there are my specs. now heres the questions

AMI BIOS

in the AGP Timing menu heres what i have
AGP - have set to 4x
AGP Fast write - currently disabled (should i enable??)
AGP Master 1 W/S write - currently disabled (should i enable??)
AGP Master 1 W/S Read - currently disabled ( should i enable??)
AGP Read Synchronization - currently disabled ( should i enable??)

and under the DRAM Timing menu, heres what i have,
SDRAM 1T - currently disabled (should i enable??)
Fast Command - currently at Normal (but my other options are Fast, and Ultra)

should i change any of these settings...will they increase system performance??
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time.
lil boi phreak
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby ab630 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:10 am

Do you really need to boost system performance you got a pretty top of the range system?? (I'm just jealous cuz I only got a athlon xp 1700+)

Anyway, I don't know much about the BIOS settings you specified but I know some that might help boost performance.

I think the higher speed settings for the DRAM are for if you have DDR-RAM but I'm not sure so just try them and see.

Video:
You should enable the video bios shadow,
Disable the spread spectrum,

RAM:
Set the SDRAM CAS Latency timing to as low as possible but maintaining stability,
Disable EEC (error checking) for the ram,

Those prob werent much help but I try, LOL.
ab630
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby lil boi phreak » Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:39 am

you did good.....i saw the spread spectrum in the bios...what exactly is that? i havent a clue. i went in and set my latency on my ram from 2.5 to 2 ...i know im gonna know a difference. :roll: ...for Fast Command i went in and set it to Ultra. i was on www.sysopt.com and they had some VIA tweaks in there and it said for to put it to those settings if you have good ram and not to do it on cheap ram....well the ram i have is supposed to be cas 2 ....and i set my AGP fast write to enable as that website also said Nvidia chipsets support this function. evidently for those who dont know the fast write setting is so the cpu can access the video card directly when it needs to without going thru the system.

it kinda gripes me that these manufacturers never have a dedicated section thats as plain as day that gives information without beating around the bush. i think the most useful information i got out of the books that i already knew was the fact that new agp cards are 1.5v ..other than that..,,,they are pretty much crap. :wink:
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time.
lil boi phreak
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby ab630 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:34 am

The quote from the site I got the info from was that the spread spectrum is 'EMF suppressing for compatibility issues. Not required in most systems'. If that's any help.

It's from www.fast-mhz.com check it out.
ab630
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:37 pm

len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to BIOS