Corrupt Display from bios (bad??) flash update.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Corrupt Display from bios (bad??) flash update.

Postby Zekestall » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:52 am

[color=black][/color]
Howdy! I recently did a bios update flash of a Pavilion 6330 model #D6379A computer with a downloaded Puma exe. flash untility from the HP site. This Pavilion was running a PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.F. After the flash update, I wound up with vertical screen artifacts on the desktop, and thereafter Windows crashes.
The computer can be started in safe mode, and then I can remove the drivers for the SiS 5597/98 drivers, switch to standard VGA and restart without a problem. However, running in 640X480 resolution with 16 colors isn't exactly cool. I've tried downloading new Sis drivers, but it doesn't change a thing. My question is this:
Can I restore the Pavilion to the original bios somhow? If so, how eactly?? Would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
P.S. I also have had a look at the motherboard numbers on this particular machine, and it might be of help to anyone who needs them.
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Zekestall
Zekestall
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:00 pm

Welcome to the Mother Board!

Please do include all info about your system when posting a problem as that way we know right away what we are dealing with. If the site where you got the last BIOS update has any of the older BIOS' then simply reflash it with the older one. It should take. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Zekestall » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:42 pm

Hello, Tolemac. Thanks for the welcome.
I got the original flash update from the HP site. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the original bios for download there yet. If it exists.
I'm looking for PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.F.
It's for a Pavilion 6330 Model # D6379A.
Motherboard appears to be an OEM ASUS board for HP. Socket 7.
Chipset SIS 5598 with AMDK2 300MHZ processor. The BIOS chip is a WINBOND W29C0c0-90.
As I don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time, I don't know if that's enough information for anyone to help locate a flashBIOS for download for this thing. Talk to you later.
Zeke
Zekestall
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aussie » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:54 pm

Have you tried loading setup defaults?

On startup press F1 to enter setup. While in setup, press F5 to reset to the default settings, press F10 to save and exit from setup and the system should boot back into windows.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Zekestall » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:11 pm

Howdy!
Yes, I've tried reseting to defaults, resetting configuration data, disabling then re-enabling SIS video, and using updated drivers for the on-board video. I'm going to have to try plan B, I guess.
That's disabling on-board video in favor of installing a PCI video card and see if that clears up the corrupted display. Windows itself seems to work, it's problems with refresh rates, resolution, and screen size that pile everything up. I can't understand why HP would post stuff on it's site that either hasn't been tested, or just doesn't work. If they were doing that, why wouldn't they at least make a flash program that saved the original bios image before flashing??
Anyways, will let you know how this works out.
Thanks, Zeke
Zekestall
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Zekestall » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:12 pm

Howdy!
Yes, I've tried reseting to defaults, resetting configuration data, disabling then re-enabling SIS video, and using updated drivers for the on-board video. I'm going to have to try plan B, I guess.
That's disabling on-board video in favor of installing a PCI video card and see if that clears up the corrupted display. Windows itself seems to work, it's problems with refresh rates, resolution, and screen size that pile everything up. I can't understand why HP would post stuff on it's site that either hasn't been tested, or just doesn't work. If they were doing that, why wouldn't they at least make a flash program that saved the original bios image before flashing??
Anyways, will let you know how this works out.
Thanks, Zeke
Zekestall
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Denniss » Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:09 am

Do you have the corrupted screen from start-up in Bios screen too or only within windows ?
Denniss
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to BIOS