The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hi everyone...
I'm new here and I need help from you guys on the above subject.

I have a system running on :
BIOS : Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Award Plug & Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
11/19/1998-i430HX-2A59FP6DC-00
O/S : Windows 95 4.00.950 B
CPU : Pentium MMX 200MHz
RAM : 64Mb
Hdd : 8GB Samsung

Recently, I cloned the 8GB Samsung Hdd to a 60GB MSata SSD using Norton Ghost 2003 on another computer which is
running on Windows NT 4.00.1381 with 512MB of RAM.
The cloning is successful, i believe, because I can see the new SSD with all the contents on the WindowsNT MyComputer.

The problem now is, when I replaced the 8GB Samsung Hdd with this newly cloned SSD, the BIOS unable to detect the SSD.
Really appreciate for any help can get...

Thank you...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:35 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Win 95, Win 98, W2K and Win ME are obsolete.. no longer honored or acceptable for Internet access. Same now for Win XP and Vista.. no support from MS. Maybe OK for private use, older gaming or such.
That motherboard may not be compatible with newer Windows versions (7 and later).
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 93a1632932
Such newer devices as an SSD or newer than a DVD may not be recognized by older OS versions, and no updates. A PCI host card would be required for any SATA or SSD drive where only PATA or IDE drives were used.. with its own BIOS and interface logic.
There are BIOS limits as to primary hard drive cylinder count. Using a larger drive beyond that limit requires a primary partition within the BIOS limits.
Today's BIOS versions are more compatible with each other, but older BIOS versions are unique to their own features, and may not be hosted by other systems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:27 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hi Karl... Thank you for the information.
Btw, i'm using an IDE Adapter to connect the SSD to the motherboard IDE Interface.
What should I do now?
Should I update the Bios version? Any step by step procedure on how to update the Bios?
Should I re-partition the SSD? Currently, the SSD only have 1 partition, size 2047 MB. The rest it says unallocated.
Appreciate for the help.
Thanks...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:16 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

"Only" 2047 MB? That is likely just the factory data specs partition, or the Main Boot Record (MBR) for media descriptor and boot path. Formed in a different format that the BIOS can read, until the system is handed over to the OS.
As previously noted, the BIOS may not be compatible with other versions. The only way to get any results would be to mount and format in situ with the host that will use the hard drive.
Only suggestion is to mount that SSD drive, use a bootable floppy with Win 95 (DOS 7.1) and just basic formatting/system transfer commands. Form the primary partition within the BIOS limits, and create the 'extended' partition.
Then break the extended partition into equal or as needed partitions, maybe 3 max. The OS can work larger partition sizes than the BIOS. Format that 'service' floppy disk from the working OS that was on the system.
Once a bootable primary partition is formed on the new drive, then the drive should boot and allow reading of a CD disk or the OS install floppies (first Win 95 did come on 13 floppy disks!!). You will need the command line for reading an optical disk, as that older BIOS may not have the provision.
As to a BIOS update, maybe not much improvement. The character string in the lower left corner of the first video screen is the true ID and conception date of the BIOS and system. Search for that info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_ ... ows_9x_era
For any boot disk needs, check here.. https://www.bootdisk.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hi Karl...
Thank you for all the advice and suggestions. Really appreciate. I'm not that good with the computer system but i'll try to do
as what you had suggested. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:46 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

If you get a successful 100% clone to the new drive, then a major hassle with OS updates will be avoided. Likely more than 150 security and system updates to Win 95, more for Win 98. Those "KB" updates are not easy to obtain any longer.
The Win 95 "A" version was 1995, the "B" version was 1996, and a "C" version was 1997. The first version was intended only for a FAT 16 file system, but the second version could convert to a FAT 32 file system. The final Win 95 was intended for a FAT 32 as default option. Win 98 and following OS versions were default FAT32 format. More efficient, and can manage larger partition sizes.
The Win OS versions using a default FAT format cannot read the Win NTFS format, but the Win 2K and NT OS versions could read and work with a FAT 32 format. Don't want to confuse you any further.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ile-system