BIOS Error - Acer Aspire TC-220

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIOS Error - Acer Aspire TC-220

Postby tri5tal » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:55 am

Good afternoon,

I was running a bios update on an DT.SXRSA.003 Acer Aspire TC-220 via the Acer update software but we had a power cut before it finished. Now the fans spin up but there is nothing on screen, no beeps and no other indication of life.

I'm having a hard time finding the full details on the motherboard for this machine but I believe the following to be correct:

Mobo = DAA78L/Kara_MB
BIOS type = Andy's tool identifies it as EFI/INSYDE with a recovery filename RCVBOOT.CAP. The file provided by the Acer website is P11-A3.CAP
BIOS version = I'm unsure of the original but I believe P11.A4 was what it was attempting to update.
CPU = AMD A10 7800 quad-core
RAM = 16GB DDR3 (in 2x8GB)

I have tried a variety of different usb sticks with the recovery filename suggested by the tool on each of the computer's USB ports but it doesn't seem to recognise either the stick or a USB keyboard (one of the old faithful Dell RT7D50's) and am unsure what to do next.

I can provide anymore information you might need if you could just point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help you can provide/

Edit: took out active URL links for insecure sites.
..Karlsweldt.
tri5tal
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: BIOS Error - Acer Aspire TC-220

Postby blueice » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:05 am

Amazing that person took their time to write all this out and no one here even tried to help them and I need know the steps to this too.
blueice
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am

Re blueice:
The Forum is not manned 24/7, all volunteers. We do have several pro PC techs with their own shops, but business there is first. Then family. They log in here when time permits.
As to the post by tri5tal, the effect is due to a corrupt BIOS process (power loss before completion). The solution would be to check the owner's manual concerning that, or contact Acer about recovery for the BIOS. Many BIOS types do have a redundant or backup file, which can be activated by jumpers or a specific access file.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:16 am

Does the PC start up (fans spinning and lights on with possibly a beep)? If so good, then you have to find the primary USB slot which is usually above or nearest to a PS2 (keyboard mouse socket) socket or furthest from the PCI-e or PCI slots. Make sure the BIOS is unzipped and on a clean FAT32 formatted USB stick. Switch the machine off and clear the CMOS either by shorting the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard or removing the motherboard battery. Whilst inside, disconnect the hard drive and any bootable drives. Plug the USB stick into the primary USB socket and power on the machine. Leave it alone. If it works the machine will reboot after about 5 minutes and all will be good.

If it doesn't work, swich off, remove the USB stick. You may need to make the USB stick bootable, if you can get a windows 10 machine, you cannot create a bootable USB without using a 3rd party progrom - I use RUFUS. Make the drive bootable, then add your unzipped BIOS files to the root of the USB drive (ie do not put the BIOS files in a folder). Follow the above steps about starting the PC with the bootable USB drive inserted and hopefully it should work.

If this doesn't work, remove the CMOS battery for about five minutes and hold the power button in for about 30 seconds with the mains unplugged. Put the battery back in, plug back into the mains, connect the windows drive and power on.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to BIOS