Moderator: The Mod Squad

Searching for a BIOS for Amptron PM9800

Postby w00tDr » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Mobo = Amptron PM9800 ver 3.6
BIOS type = AMI version unknown
BIOS version = unknown
CPU = socket 7

Searching for a BIOS for Amptron PM9800. Here is what happened:

It didn't recognize a 30GB hard drive, so I wanted to update the AMI BIOS.
Amptron's website is gone, and I found only one BIOS online here: http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/ROM/OTHER/
The plan was to use the supplied flash program to make a backup of the existing BIOS, since I had no backup, and then proceed with flashing to the new BIOS. What happened was the flash program executed and *froze*. I rebooted after about 20 min., and the board was dead.

Next, I tried the method to flash from floppy using (hopefully) intact boot-block for AMI BIOS recovery: Copy the downloaded pm980421.rom file to floppy, and rename to AMIBOOT.ROM. Insert floppy, power on. Press Home key to force, if necessary. Result: no drive activity.

Next, I hired a BIOS recovery service to copy the BIOS from the site linked above to a new DIP. Result: the system attempts to POST, but hangs at POST code 2A. Rearrangement of memory modules and/or video card in various PCI slots resulted in no difference.

Therefore, I think this BIOS may be incorrect for this motherboard. So, I am back to looking for a compatible BIOS file.

I failed to write down the BIOS string before attempting the backup - duh. However, here is some hope: there is a photo of BIOS string from another Amptron PM9800. The photo came from an auction site in Hungary, where the board was for sale. It is:

51-1127-001437-00101111-071595-PM9800-M9800V3.6_8679-H

According to Wim's Bios ID, the -001437- indicates that the BIOS manufacturer is PCChips. It makes sense, as Amptron was a subsidiary or sister company of PCChips.

Maybe someone has a compatible BIOS for this motherboard?
w00tDr
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Searching for a BIOS for Amptron PM9800

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:38 am

You might try here.. http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/amptron/PM-9800.htm
The BIOS program has to be specific to the model, with its features.
With this class of motherboard, you cannot mix different memory types. One DIMM or two SIMM modules minimum.
Older motherboard designs could only use single-density memory modules. Double- or high-density types only register as 1/2 amount.
With updating a BIOS program, it can take up to two minutes for the process to complete. This is a must-wait time, or a corrupt BIOS program can result.
As to the BIOS not recognizing a 30 GB drive, the specs likely are beyond its limits. In the BIOS, there may be a choice of "user settings" with LBA, Large, or Normal interleave. You can do the head/cylinder recount, but leave the sectors per track as-is. Try a 1/4 cylinder count, 4x head count with LBA.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby w00tDr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:38 am

Thank you. I sent email to http://www.motherboard.cz to request a BIOS file.

EDIT:
It seems that his mailbox is full. :roll:
w00tDr
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:10 am

You can do a download from the main page. On the top is a series of boxes, for categories. Choose 'download', 'drivers, manuals, BIOS', then next page select the brand then model.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby w00tDr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:27 am

Karlsweldt wrote:You can do a download from the main page. On the top is a series of boxes, for categories. Choose 'download', 'drivers, manuals, BIOS', then next page select the brand then model.

At top of main page, I don't see a box 'download'.
If I choose 'Drivers Manuals BIOS' then 'Downloads Drivers and manuals for Motherboards Mainboards' then 'Amptron' leads to this page http://www.motherboard.cz/driver/amptron.htm which has links that point to the amptron.com website, which is gone.

It seems that motherboard.cz does not host files, but only has links to manufacturers' downloads pages.
w00tDr
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:52 pm

This is the download page I referred to. The PM 9800 is listed about 3/4 down the page, but not an active link.
May be that the board is no longer considered useful, and a proper BIOS may be hard to find. But don't give up hope.
One of our Administrators has an archive of older motherboards. Perhaps a faint hope? http://www.elhvb.com/

Edit: This site does have some info on jumper settings and specs, but not for BIOS or drivers..
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:28 am

Mobokive only goes up to PM-8900 for Amptron board information.

Considering it's a rebagged PC Chips board there is a possibility to get one from a PC Chips version. The question is which PC Chips board is correct.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:59 am

It looks like they got their own OEM version for this board and there's no PC Chips/ECS equivalent known.

There is a REALLY small chance I have a bios in the offline archives but don't get your hopes too high. I'll see what I can find.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby w00tDr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:55 am

evasive wrote:It looks like they got their own OEM version for this board and there's no PC Chips/ECS equivalent known.

There is a REALLY small chance I have a bios in the offline archives but don't get your hopes too high. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks. :)
w00tDr
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to BIOS