Mistake Made

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mistake Made

Postby c327 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:43 am

This concerns a 1 year old good quality Clevo laptop with a SSD and Windows 10 Pro x64.

I have been away from this computer for months because of things here at home, but I am back at it finishing what I previously started.

By someone's suggestion I disabled secure boot in the BIOS and then clean installed Windows, all went fine. I installed and updated all utilities and programs. At this point the PC was complete and running fine so I went back into the BIOS to re enable Secure Boot and apparently clicked on the wrong thing and now I can not get into Wondows. I looked under the Boot tab and no longer see anything listed period, nothing .....zero. I think I clicked something that said reset that may have caused all this.

I don't think the SSD is at fault? I think I screwed up something in the BIOS? No problem getting into the BIOS. At boot I get a message saying : reboot & select proper boot device or incert boot media in selected boot device & press a key.

What do I need to do to correct this????

Thanks all...
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Mistake Made

Postby Mr T » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:14 am

Disable secure boot, check the drive shows in the BIOS (this is a must obviously). If the drive shows in the BIOS, go to the boot order and set it as the 2nd boot device, DVDROM first, unless there is no DVD-ROM drive. If no drive is shown in the boot order, you need to check your SATA ports, make sure they are set to normal and not external and see if ACHI is enabled for the SATA controller - if it is disable it.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:11 pm

Mr T wrote:Disable secure boot, check the drive shows in the BIOS (this is a must obviously). If the drive shows in the BIOS, go to the boot order and set it as the 2nd boot device, DVDROM first, unless there is no DVD-ROM drive. If no drive is shown in the boot order, you need to check your SATA ports, make sure they are set to normal and not external and see if ACHI is enabled for the SATA controller - if it is disable it.

Secure Boot is Disabled.

Only thing listed under the boot tab is: Launch CSM, Network Stack

I see the ACHI but there is no setting for it.

The BIOS is kind of basic, not to much one can do to it except screw it up, which I was able to do.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:06 am

I was wondering if resetting the CMOS will put all of the BIOS settings back to default
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:33 am

Resetting or clearing the CMOS resets all BIOS pages to factory default. About 10 seconds is all it takes, with just the jumper.
If that fails, then pull the mains power from the PSU, attempt a few starts to drain reserves. Remove the BIOS battery, then set the jumper to 'clear' for maybe 15 seconds. Reverse order, and start up, configure all BIOS pages.
Some motherboards do not have a 3-pin jumper, instead just two small solder pads you need to bridge with a screwdriver blade. Or better with a pair of sharp metal tweezers.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:45 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Resetting or clearing the CMOS resets all BIOS pages to factory default. About 10 seconds is all it takes, with just the jumper.
If that fails, then pull the mains power from the PSU, attempt a few starts to drain reserves. Remove the BIOS battery, then set the jumper to 'clear' for maybe 15 seconds. Reverse order, and start up, configure all BIOS pages.
Some motherboards do not have a 3-pin jumper, instead just two small solder pads you need to bridge with a screwdriver blade. Or better with a pair of sharp metal tweezers.

That's what I was thinking of doing but this is a problem being a laptop under warranty. I have not looked up this regarding my Sager/Clevo laptop. My guess is that the bios battery/plug is under the keyboard? I don't know if there is an intrusion alarm/switch on this PC (under warranty).
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:54 am

I took the keyboard off and do not see the battery, I think its on the bottom near the memory modules. Not comfortable taking to much of this apart ??? Clevo Model W650SC

http://downloads.zoostorm.com/drivers/l ... 0SC_SM.pdf
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:58 am

Sager/Compal Model W650SC

I took the bottom cover off (2 screws) and the CMOS battery was right there. Removed battery and discharged residual voltage, put battery back in and booted to BIOS. Set date & clock (24 hour) problem solved.

My concern was some times this battery can be buried in a laptop and did not want to take to many things apart possibly breaking something that has to come off a certain way.

Went back into the BIOS and finished make the rest of the settings. So far so good..............

Thanks........
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Sorry I did not read the full post, and note this was a laptop problem! :oops:
Yes, the BIOS battery is buried deep inside, but should have service access without taking apart the entire case.
Some, I have found the BIOS battery under the keypad and a shield, others as yours has.
But there is a third battery in laptops.. the 'sleep' battery. Could be 3 cells in a plastic wrap, with pigtail lead.
And there are some models with a command line in the BIOS to reset to factory default.
But hope all is good now, after a reset.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS