Flashing Foxconn 671MX BIOS

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Flashing Foxconn 671MX BIOS

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 am

Hi!

I have a Foxconn 671MX MOBO that just stop working, when I turn on the PC CPU fan spins but nothing else happen, no beeps (even wtih RAM removed), no video, no boot

I´m suspecting that the BIOS is wrong, I downloaded the last BIOS version from Foxconn homepage a .zip file named 764F1P12, inside is the BIOS .bin file and the AWDFLASH utility, I have some papers on how to flash the bios from floppy disk, but I want to know is there is any way to flash the BIOS from a CD or an USB device.

remember that it has to be ina "recovery" mode or something, because I´m unable to boot the system

Many thanks in advance,

SAMH
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Flashing Foxconn 671MX BIOS

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Specs link.. http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDe ... -us0000335
Can you get into the BIOS pages to set the boot order for USB or other source? If not, then try a boot anyway, without a hard drive. Might be lucky.
But after flashing any motherboard BIOS, a full reset to default is recommended.
1) Pull AC mains feed from PSU, attempt a few starts to drain reserves.
2) Remove the BIOS battery, set the CLR_CMOS jumper to reset pins, wait about 15 seconds.
3) Reverse the order, and hopefully life returns.
If not, the BIOS may not be the proper one for the system, or possibly a corrupted update.
Did you save the original BIOS program?
You can make an ISO formatted flash USB stick or optical disk for auto-run. http://www.bootdisk.com/ has almost any type.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:46 am

I can´t boot I remember that there were a recovery procedure to flash the BIOS when it´s unable to boot, but I´m not sure if it was for AMI BIOS or AWARD/PHOENIX BIOS

On anyway, If it´s not the BIOS what else could be? a shorted component?
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Your "best friend", the POST diagnostics card, should disclose a link to the problem.
Any POST step code that hangs is a good place to start sleuthing.
With motherboards that use an IDE storage drive, very important that the #1 marker on the ribbon and on the drive and header be matched. Otherwise, the main data bus is shunted, and no data flow. Not so with SATA drives.
Writing a new BIOS program takes time. Sometimes, up to 3 minutes to complete. If the operation is interrupted, corrupt BIOS.
The user's manual for that specific board should note if there is a BIOS recovery procedure.
From that specs link I posted, there is a listing on the specs page that it has a 4Mb flash EEPROM, which may have a restore or recovery process.
Many older BIOS versions did have a default to search the floppy drive, if the BIOS were corrupt. May still be so. Try a 1.44 MB floppy disk drive, with the disk formatted in FAT12 only.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:08 pm

I have no POST testing card, so I´m stuck with my knowledge, experience and intuition :lol:

i´m keep testing the board
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:18 pm

Foxconn boards from that era sometimes have no bootblock in the bios chip to save space. The bad news is, if you need to do recovery, you need to swap out the chip.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:19 am

evasive wrote:Foxconn boards from that era sometimes have no bootblock in the bios chip to save space. The bad news is, if you need to do recovery, you need to swap out the chip.

perhaps it is the case, the chip is the little one with eight legs

on anyway I think that there is anything else happen because the CPU remains cool when I shut the board ON, no signs of be working
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:52 pm

I think that there is anything else happen because the CPU remains cool when I shut the board ON, no signs of be working

When there is no FSB activity, the motherboard is in a state of idle or stand-by. The CPU, GPU and other chipsets are in a 'resistance' load state. Minimal heat would be produced. But when in a normal active state, that is, a 'dynamic' load state, that produces the most waste heat.
The LED lights on a keyboard are a basic diagnostics tool. On powering up, they should flash once or twice. About 5 seconds later, another flash or two, as the POST process checks for status. If no second flash sequence, a critical error has caused the POST process to halt.
Lacking a POST diagnostics card, take the system down to bare essentials. Just the CPU with its heat sink. No memory or device cards or data ribbons or video card. The system speaker should emit a few beeps. Add memory if this proves out, and then there should be a different set of beeps, indicating a video memory access problem.
This link notes all the basic beep codes used. Phoenix and Award BIOS are very similar.
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS