How to apply command line BIOS update in Windows 7?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How to apply command line BIOS update in Windows 7?

Postby FiberBundle » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:12 pm

I have an old MSI mobo, MS7521-FDIR and I am trying to install Windows 10 and the update ap tells me my CPU is not compatible. My CPU is a XEON with a pin mod* to make it work on this mobo. I am thinking that updating the BIOS might fix the problem. All other fixes have failed.

The MSI Live Update update can't seem to find my BIOS, it says that I am current and doesn't show the BIOS in the ap list. So, I am stuck with the command line utility, AFUD4310.exe and the file, A7521MS.160.

I have tried formatting a disk using Windows 7, but when I boot into it, I can't access the C: drive using "cd C:" to get the file and BIOS installer. The instruction that come with the update clearly say you should not run the update from the floppy. I have also tried booting up with the Windows 7 install disk and going into the command line from Repair mode, but I am reluctant to run AFUD4310 from this command mode, there is clearly a lot of other software running.

So what is the solution? Is there some way to access C: from my Windows 7 formatted floppy? Is it safe to run it from the startup disk command line?

*http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

Any and all tips or clues would be appreciated.
FiberBundle
Initiate
Initiate

Re: How to apply command line BIOS update in Windows 7?

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:26 pm

Perhaps the Xeon CPU you have is considered "too old" for Win 10.
Several queries about the issue...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... e7a?auth=1
A floppy disk must be formatted in FAT12 for access by a BASIC state (BIOS before bootstrap handover) of operation.
If formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 it cannot be accessed until a true OS is active.
A floppy would need an autoexec.bat file pointing to the NTLDR file which sets the environment for an OS higher than DOS.
For floppy access to a hard drive in DOS mode, maximum partition size is about 2 GB.
If the mobo BIOS is new enough, it should be able to read the 'autorun.inf' file on an optical disk and do the process.
Burn a disk in ISO format with the update files. If you need an ISO boot sequence, http://www.bootdisk.com should have it.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby FiberBundle » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:28 am

Karlsweldt wrote:A floppy disk must be formatted in FAT12 for access by a BASIC state (BIOS before bootstrap handover) of operation.
If formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 it cannot be accessed until a true OS is active.
A floppy would need an autoexec.bat file pointing to the NTLDR file which sets the environment for an OS higher than DOS.
For floppy access to a hard drive in DOS mode, maximum partition size is about 2 GB.

Why would they direct you to copy the files to the HD? How many people have partitions less than 2GB? In fact, it doesn't really make any sense to me to have to copy the files to the HD. I've never had to do that before, and shouldn't you be able to update the BIOS without any HD installed at all?

Here is what the How-to that came with BIOS download says: "WARNING!!!!!
DON'T FLASH FROM A FLOPPY DISK!!!!"

In my Windows 7, a FAT file system is the only option in the Format Floppy dialogue. I've never had any trouble not choosing a FAT system when formatting for a BIOS update floppy boot.

I'm sorely tempted to just format a bootable floppy in Windows 7 (I've tried this much), copy the relevant files and run the whole update from the floppy like I've done so many times before. What has changed? Would this be dangerous?
FiberBundle
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:20 pm

With 99.99% of all motherboards, the BIOS is locked down and not accessible to an OS. Only a specific program can bypass this.
Flashing or updating a BIOS file has changed from the default of a floppy disk to an optical disk, USB or 'live' from the OS.
Best to follow the provider's instructions, or a dead mobo can result if the BIOS becomes corrupt and the chip is not in a socket.
For formatting a floppy disk in FAT12, use the command-prompt mode of any Windows version from W2K forward.
The command-prompt window has a typed input, if you have not used this feature. Just type in format A: or whatever the floppy drive letter is. If you want to ensure that all files are gone, use the argument /u (unconditional). The argument /s can put a boot order on it.
To close the command-prompt window, just type in exit.
The last version of pure DOS, 6.22, had a maximum hard drive accessibility of 2 GB. In DOS mode, 16-bit format is the highest. If 32-bit or NTFS, not readable by DOS.
There should be an alternative of using a USB flash drive that has a boot order on it, if the USB 'legacy' feature is active.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:31 am

Dead easy to flash the BIOS from hard drive when in DOS, just put the executable on the root of C drive along with the BIOS rom file and use a floppy/boot CD to get you to a dos prompt (Hirens boot disc is good for this as well as floppy, proving you still have floppy support on the motherboard). Once there change the drive from a to c, navigate to executable and you are good to go..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby FiberBundle » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:06 am

Mr T wrote:Dead easy to flash the BIOS from hard drive when in DOS, just put the executable on the root of C drive along with the BIOS rom file and use a floppy/boot CD to get you to a dos prompt (Hirens boot disc is good for this as well as floppy, proving you still have floppy support on the motherboard). Once there change the drive from a to c, navigate to executable and you are good to go..

Perhaps you missed this in the first post:

FiberBundle wrote:....
I have tried formatting a disk using Windows 7, but when I boot into it, I can't access the C: drive using "cd C:" to get the file and BIOS installer. The instruction that come with the update clearly say you should not run the update from the floppy. I have also tried booting up with the Windows 7 install disk and going into the command line from Repair mode, but I am reluctant to run AFUD4310 from this command mode, there is clearly a lot of other software running.

So what is the solution? Is there some way to access C: from my Windows 7 formatted floppy? Is it safe to run it from the startup disk command line?

And also the explanation below about why I can't find the C: drive:

Karlsweldt wrote:....

I would rather not use Hirens boot disc, there is too much stuff on it. I really need to be able to access the hard drive from a native Windows 7 fromatted floppy or USB drive.

Is there some way to use the Windows 7 installation disk to go directly to a command line instead of the graphic installation dialogue?
FiberBundle
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Parsing is critical when changing paths with computer commands. To access a drive, yes the CD C:\ statement is used. Must be the backslash, never the forward slash. The forward slash is used as an argument or attribute link.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 90875.aspx

Command-prompt from OS install disk, Win 7:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/68 ... artup.html
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby FiberBundle » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Solved this problem here at the MSI forum:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=267415.0

Thanks to all who responded.
FiberBundle
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:03 am

So, did the BIOS update solve the windows 10 problem too?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby FiberBundle » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:15 am

evasive wrote:So, did the BIOS update solve the windows 10 problem too?

It did not, but it was essential to solving the problem. I was finally able to update the BIOS, but it was also necessary to add some microcode to the BIOS which was another project. What finally solved the Windows 10 problem was that I cleaned out my old files with the Disk Cleanup tool. Once I did that the Windows 10 update application installed on my Windows 7 was able to update me to Windows 10.

I am now running Windows 10 now for a couple of weeks with no significant problems.

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Thanks for asking.
FiberBundle
Initiate
Initiate

Return to BIOS