BIOS BOOT ORDER

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIOS BOOT ORDER

Postby c327 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:11 am

Regarding a new HP laptop. In checking the BIOS BOOT order to make sure it can boot from a USB flash thumb drive. I find the following and which of these should boot first? Thanks

UEFI
OS Boot Manager
USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk
USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
Network Adaptor

Legacy Boot Order
USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk
USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
Network Adaptor
Last edited by c327 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: BIOS BOOT ORDER

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Should be a control line in the BIOS noting "search all (alternate) boot paths". If so, enable it.
At the end of the POST process, listed and unlisted boot paths are discovered, and if more than one, a choice menu should be displayed. The default first choice should be the hard drive.. then optical disk, and then USB, if options are offered.
For booting from a USB device, the "legacy" status must be enabled.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:00 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Should be a control line in the BIOS noting "search all (alternate) boot paths". If so, enable it.
At the end of the POST process, listed and unlisted boot paths are discovered, and if more than one, a choice menu should be displayed. The default first choice should be the hard drive.. then optical disk, and then USB, if options are offered.
For booting from a USB device, the "legacy" status must be enabled.

I do not see search all (alternate) boot paths. What I do see in the BIOS order of boot is exactly what I listed above, nothing more. If I reinstall the O.S. Via a USB port should I change the order of boot in any way and if so what should I change it to.

Thanks......
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:06 am

Have not been in the "mainstream" of computer advances for a while. Guess some features have been overly simplified.
But for access to any USB device prior to the OS coming into play, the 'legacy' feature has to be enabled. From a quick browse, that is default on some newer devices.
Default format for a floppy disk is FAT 12 for BIOS access. FAT32 is considered default for a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Have not been in the "mainstream" of computer advances for a while. Guess some features have been overly simplified.
But for access to any USB device prior to the OS coming into play, the 'legacy' feature has to be enabled. From a quick browse, that is default on some newer devices.
Default format for a floppy disk is FAT 12 for BIOS access. FAT32 is considered default for a USB flash drive or external hard drive.

OK fine but in looking at the order of boot should the order of boot be changed if an install of an OS is intended via a USB devise
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:02 pm

When installing an OS to any type of hard drive, there should be no remnants of a previous OS. And no partition(s) created.
Finding remnants of an OS will cause an abort in the install process. The OS install disk should provide clearing of existing partitions and creating new as needed. When all partitions are removed, there are no file remnants.
When the BIOS bootstrap hands over operations, then a search for a valid boot path is done. If there is an optical disk or USB flash drive that is bootable or mountable, and no same status for a hard drive, then a proper handover will ensue.
Should be a brief choice menu as to which device to select, if more than one valid path is found.
There should be a brief report of "Booting to optical disk" or "Booting to USB drive" or similar, if only one path.
If only two choices of boot regimen, either should work.
All BIOS profiles are not the same. The owner's manual should describe the features of the BIOS and what changes can be done, with what effects.
UFEI: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-uefi
Legacy: Disables RAID and AHCI features.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:45 am

c327 wrote:OK fine but in looking at the order of boot should the order of boot be changed if an install of an OS is intended via a USB devise

you shouldn't have to change anything, as there's no bootable device on any "higher"/earlier boot devices. it should keep going through until it's tried them all and not found one to boot(or finds one). however, I always change my boot order to force the device I want to be first.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:16 am

Ok got it. My concern was with a flash USB thumb drive being bootable. If it's in the list of things to boot it should boot eventually, but the other part of my question was do I have to prepare the USB thumb drive in a special way in order to make it bootable. Originally when the thumb drive was new I went to My Computer and selected the USB drive and clicked format which it did. In doing that did I make it bootable or do I need to do something different??

Thanks all
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:06 am

Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS