How many ways can a ball roll????

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How many ways can a ball roll????

Postby pacedc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:43 pm

First off Im a newbie... Complete newbie... This is what I have, asrock 990fx extreme9, AMD 6300 phenom 2 black edition, gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 975w power supply, corsair water cooled, 6gb ram, 1tb hd. All drivers are up to date.

Im looking to make BIOS settings match hardware. I have spent hours upon hours researching and cant seem to find a simple, this is what this is and that is what that is. I'm loosing my mind.

Went on to the asrock site and updated my mobo.

The reason I want to adjust BIOS is PC only freezes during games. Upgraded the video card figured that would fix it. Nope...
Completely deleted my system and restored everything. that didn't do it. Then after researching some stuff discovered this thing called overclocking that lead me to BIOS. From my research I have discovered that incorrect BIOS settings will cause problems. I do not want to just go in, start messing around and completely screw up my PC.

What I'm looking for. Basic BIOS tutorial or a this is what your BIOS should look like if you have this. If that even exists.

Thank you for any suggestions. I hope this is in the correct forum. If not im sorry.
pacedc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: How many ways can a ball roll????

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
The best setting for memory timing is the SPD factor, in the BIOS pages. And if dual-channel or triple-channel, all modules must be matched as to amount and speed, and be of greater than "value" rating.
A "value" grade of memory is what just makes the grade as to speed. May not have higher speed tolerance.
A "premium" grade of memory has more tolerance for higher speed, and fewer causes of memory dump.
Is the case properly vented, with unrestricted air flow? Although you have a water-cooled system, there still is a lot of waste heat that can build up in the case. The PSU would be the only exhaust vent.
Look over all the larger capacitors for any signs of domed tops, excess lean or leakage. They are bad. More info at www.badcaps.net/
The PSU should also be a quality brand, as 'unknowns' can have poor regulation or efficiency.
And ensure there is sufficient free space behind the PC case, so it does not draw in warm exhaust air.
In Administrative Tools/Event Log, there would be entries as to any event, good or bad. Check for warnings.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:12 am

What OS are U running?

What games are freezing?

6GB RAM seems to be a quite odd combination
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Roach412 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:55 am

I'm guessing bad memory stick - and I'm assuming you're rolling with a triple 2gb setup. your board is a dual channel setup, so if you are using triple sticks you're losing out on some performance due to an odd number of DIMMS.

pull out all but 1 stick of your memory (make sure it's in slot #1) and try your games...repeat until you've verified all sticks work perfectly.

also, you should have some kind of event in your event viewer which gets logged from your crash. you can try looking in there for the reference to the issue. could be drivers(try using older drivers if everything is all new ones), bad memory...bad hard drive sector(s)....lots of things.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:34 pm

In looking at the specs for that Gigabyte GTX 770 video card, it needs 600 watts of power when "cranked up".
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4647#sp
Not much power left for the rest of the system. May be worth going with a more robust PSU, quality brand.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Sounds like a plan Karl. 975W is an odd number, sounds too much like wanting to sell a kilowatt unit but last minute deciding it really would cause too many fires.

To the OP (pacedc): is there any brand and model on that power supply? That could be the problem is el cheapo, it will never deliver the full rating of what is on the label. Good power supplies come at a price. For a reason.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS