No Bios Access Screen POST screen ok, Win7 Boots, runs ok

Moderator: The Mod Squad

No Bios Access Screen POST screen ok, Win7 Boots, runs ok

Postby mbbill » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:30 am

ISSUE: using the Delete key for access, which, when pressed during post, the 'Prepare to enter setup' text displayed as usual, then black screen with blinking _ (underscore) icon in upper left corner. After 30 minutes figured nothing was going to display.

Can access BIOS options such as boot sequence <f12> (does not seem to work) and the <End> key for Q-Flash - default bios settings means no usb flash option, only floppy drive, which I no longer own.

System:
Award BIOS v6.00pg (version from post screen) default settings
Win 7 ultimate 64bit
Kingston DDR3 HyperX Fury (2@8G)
AMD Phenom II x6
Gigabyte ga-880gm-ud2h
Sapphire Radeon R7 250
Samsung Syncmaster 216BW

Gentlemen,

After spending the last 3 days troubleshooting this issue, with much help from the Windows Secrets Lounge members, found a link to this site posted on Windows Secrets in 2004 by Ian Gizmo Richards: 'Mother of all motherboard sites'.

Have tried everything anyone could think off, some several times, including shorting the MB jumper pins to reset to default settings (worked unfortunately), flashed bios using gigabytes @BIOS gigabyte utility (not sure that worked) and removing the battery.

Still working after all that and more, except no bios settings screen.

Before I buy a new MB, any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
mbbill
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: No Bios Access Screen POST screen ok, Win7 Boots, runs o

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:00 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
Not all motherboards have the same access key(s) to enter the BIOS. The [del] key is most common, so too the [F2] and [F10] on some models. But timing is critical for getting that keystroke in. The first display screen of features should be the point where you key in. Later, and the keystroke may be ignored.
After a BIOS update, it is required that a default reset be done. The final, surest way is to unplug the PSU, attempt a few starts to drain reserves, and then remove the BIOS battery. Then use the provided jumper to clear the settings. Wait about 15 seconds, then restore to operation.
If using a USB keyboard and mouse, the USB "legacy" feature may not be enabled.. and you will need a default PS2 keyboard connection to enter the BIOS.
The keyboard lights are a simple diagnostic tool. A flash on powering up, then maybe 5 seconds later, another flash or two. That indicates the POST process has found no critical errors, and goes into the bootstrap or handover process.
The probable reason for your "hang up" is that the POST cannot find certain features, or there is a conflict with similar devices.
Hopefully, the BIOS flash was successful.. and a default entry path to the BIOS will be fruitful.
You are getting the 'Prepare to enter setup' message, so the keyboard is detected and the keystroke is accepted. But the BIOS settings don't agree with how the system is set up, likely having conflicts.
May be a good thought to try with only one memory module installed. Ensure the hard drive with the OS is on the primary or "Port 0" for detection, not on a secondary or RAID port.

Will have to add, though, that possibly the BIOS battery is weak. Try a new battery.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mbbill » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:18 am

Thank you for the reply.

Have not done a reset in the exact same sequence you describe. Will do that after sending this.

The 2 8G sticks were recently added, have 4, 2G sticks I could use in place of them. This issue was occurring with the 2G sticks also but bios was ok with them too.

Boot drive is on Port 0\primary.

Wondered about the battery, for about 3 seconds. Will get a new one, probably tomorrow.
mbbill
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby mbbill » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:56 am

Tried the reset and installed a new battery. New meaning still in the package, unopened, but has been hanging on my wall for a year or so and not dated.

Alas, that did not work.

Pulled one of the 8G sticks, same result.

Replaced 8G with 2G stick - BINGO!

Thanks for the tip, I saw that tip about ram on another site but forgot (ignored) it.

So what do I do now? Sure do like how the machine runs with 16G. Gigabyte manual says 16G is supported.
mbbill
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Good to hear there are life signs. There are more than 100 POST tests before the bootstrap.. and if memory cannot be timed and paged properly, could take minutes or hours to get life signs. Same too if memory is maxed out before the BIOS recognizes the SPD factor and sets timings.
Get the BIOS pages set properly with lesser memory, then try with the other modules. May be GTG.
One of those 3 volt LED lamps makes a quick BIOS battery tester. Long leg is positive. Bright, battery is good. Weak, replace battery. Typical life is about 2 to 3 years, depending on use. Maybe up to 4 years shelf life.

With dual-channel or triple-channel memory designs, best to have the exact same amount in each channel, matched modules preferred. Maxing out memory does not always work well. And is rarely fully utilized, unless doing video editing or CAD work.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mbbill » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Will take another look at the BIOS setting tomorrow. Decided to do what you suggested after sending my last post and did set up the BIOS pages with the 2G stick, then replaced with the 2 8G sticks. That killed getting into the BIOS again but maybe can fix that tomorrow with more fine tuning of the memory settings. Found a note in the MB manual about using memory slots 3 and 4 if clocking at 1800 or higher. Elsewhere they say to use slots 1 and 2, which I did. The memory is 1600 but will OC to 1880, so will switch slots.

Just happen to have a 3v led lamp, also 2 more 'new' batteries if needed.

Thanks for your help and the tutorial on the BIOS, one of the things I like about DIY is the new stuff I learn. You have taught me much today.

Got into computers in 84 on an IBM AT, programing in edlin. My first computer was given to me in 93, upgraded the MB and cpu the next week and never stopped. Only new machine I have bought was my Acer laptop about 10 years ago. Current machine was my first total build from scratch.

Thank again,
mbbill
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:17 am

16GB total over 4 slots means maximum of 4GB per slot. 8GB is simply not supported. There are no HyperX Fury sticks in the tested memory list, there are no 8GB sticks in the tested memory list. Get a set of 4x 4GB sticks and be done with this.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mbbill » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Did not know that having 4 banks meant the memory had to be divided between each bank. That's a bummer, computer budget blown for the year, maybe next year I can buy 4 sticks.

Nice thing about DIY is you know who to blame when mistakes are made.

Thanks for the help, truly appreciate your time,
mbbill
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:47 pm

There may be four "banks" or slots for memory, but there actually are only two physical "banks" for memory.. dual-channel design. The paired color slots are for each bank, one color each.. or same color for each bank. Check your user's manual as to exactly how to install memory. Look alongside or at the end of each slot.. note "Bank 0" and "Bank 1" markings.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mbbill » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Manual is as you described, color-coded, manual calls them 'sockets' and channels 2 sockets per channel. For two sticks, gives two different location options, channel 1 sockets or channel 2 if overclocking (I don't).

Nowhere in the manual does it say 4G max per stick. All the manual says is 16G max and where to insert two sticks and where to insert 4 sticks (that made it easy when I built with my 4@2G). Guess they didn't have room to do both, location of 4 sticks or max ram per stick.
mbbill
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS