computer will not boot can not acceess bios

Moderator: The Mod Squad

computer will not boot can not acceess bios

Postby toughcookie » Mon May 03, 2010 6:02 am

I have an asus p7p55d motherboard with an i5 processor and asus videocard EAH5770. i had installed win 7 and had installed a downloaded free antivirus programme to protect untill i could get a good one for win 7. However after installing av programme i run it and then my screen went blue and then nothing. i restarted comp but it would not reboot no noise just fans running. I tried hitting the check memory button on the board and after a minute it rebooted and so i started up in safe mode. Everything came back so i restarted and then nothing again no beep just a black screen. Tried resetting memory but no luck. What have i done ???? i am worried that i have allowed a virus onto the system and this has cleared my bios memory. Have tried to repair using a usb stick with the bios files on but still nothing. (now learnt that i have done this totally wrong so no wonder it did nothing) Also tried using the motherboard dvd to repair but still nothing i have no idea what i have done and i am worried that i have killed the motherboard can anyone help i am running out of ideas. I have read a few threads here and i am sure you guys can help me but have not found this problem yet. i will look further but until then i will just have to keep my fingers crossed
toughcookie
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon May 03, 2010 9:16 am

Sounds like something was overheating or something is wrong with the memory sticks you used (checked if they were compatible with this board on the QVL for it). The fact it went to safe mode and started again points in that direction.

Did you buy a new power supply for this system or did you recycle your old one? What hardware (brand/model of parts) is in this system?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby toughcookie » Mon May 03, 2010 10:10 am

it is a complete new system

4gb 2x2gbddr3 corsair xms3
intel i5 - 660 LGA1156 cache 4mb processor
asus p7p55d mobo
asus EAH5770 cucore 1gb gddr5 vidcard
cooler master silent pro M 850W power supply
icidu cardreader
western digital 1tb caviar black sata hd
centurian case

hope this helps
toughcookie
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 am

On starting any computer, the monitor receives a default 60 Hz VGA signal until the OS comes into effect. There you have basic color screens and can enter the BIOS and configure the system. If you have this part of the process, then the screen goes black or dark, likely the OS has 'enhanced' the video properties beyond the monitor's capacity.
If no first start-up screens, then there may be a power plug in the computer that has worked loose, or some device is not seated properly. Reseat all components and power plugs. And ensure that the video cable is securely connected to the video card port.
You have little worry about a virus 'invading' your BIOS. That is quite secure. But if the BIOS has been corrupted by an improper flash, the mobo may need to be sent back for repair, unless it has the feature to recover its programming.
You may be interested in this link.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon May 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Right. A BIOS virus is not only difficult to do, but very rare these days. I doubt you have that problem. If you relied on the Windows 7 video driver, or installed the wrong driver (say, from the install CD, that would likely be a Vista driver, not Windows 7) you'll wind up with no display, sometimes.

Start in Safe Mode, remove that antivirus program (you didn't say what it is, but you have have HAVE to be careful with freebies. Get Avast, that works very well, is free unless you want some added scheduling features) and that may solve your problem. Failing that, just reformat and reinstall Windows. Make sure you're getting the right drivers for you hardware, typically 32 bit drivers will not work on a 64 bit OS.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby toughcookie » Mon May 03, 2010 8:01 pm

ok checked cables all good so no prob there
i had downloaded avast !!!
the problem is i can not longer start up even in safe mode i get nothing
As for the driver thing i did 2 -3 startups without a problem until i begun with the antivirus
one thing i did not mention was that i got the programme from internet via an external hardrive. so another computer had downloaded it i put it on another hardrive and connected this to the new computer and there i think is where the problem has come from.
toughcookie
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Question: How long was this computer in use? If more than two years since the last change of the BIOS battery, that may be the cause. The battery has a life of about 3~4 years average, depending on use. It is only a backup for when no AC mains power gets into the PSU to power circuits in the mobo when "off" (the stand-by +5 volts).
If the battery dies, then BIOS settings are lost, and the real-time clock will not function. Many mobo models depend on that real-time clock functioning before they will show any activity.
In cases like this, a diagnostics POST card is very handy. It will display a two-character code for the steps prior to start-up, and if a character 'hangs' then you know where to start sleuthing. With the POST process, any critical error will halt the start-up sequence.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby toughcookie » Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 pm

the mobo is two weeks old !!! everything is new
toughcookie
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed May 05, 2010 1:13 am

is that external harddisk still connected? tried without the cardreader? checkedthe sticky post about troubleshooting new builds in the tech support forum?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby toughcookie » Wed May 05, 2010 10:07 am

It seems after extensive research that the first poster had this right as one of the dimms seems to be faulty !!! tried it in different ports and only when i removed the broken one would it boot and work as before. The avast programme was also not good and it took along time to remove from the computer. but eveything seems good now just have to buy new dimms !!! thanks for all the help
toughcookie
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS