Unisys AQUANTA motherboard - Looking for Phoenix BIOS

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Unisys AQUANTA motherboard - Looking for Phoenix BIOS

Postby Loche » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi to all. I'm Pierfrancesco and hope to find help here.
I've got an Pentium Pro Unisys AQUANTA motherboard model DM/6 II (the code I read on it is V60X M.B.). It was made in 1997 and has a corrupted Bios. The user manual says it uses Phoenix Bios version 4.0 R 5.1 but I think Unisys doesn't give more support for it. Bios file isn't downloadable from Phoenix website nor from Unisys. And it's so hard to find that Bios file on the Internet. I've searched all over the net :(
Anyone can help me?
Thank you very much.
Loche
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:18 am

V60X sounds like something Acer, could be an OEM board for Unisys. Does it have any other markings, like 95134-x somewhere? Did you try a fresh CMOS battery?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Loche » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:31 am

Hi evasive.
The marking on the mobo is:

V60X M.B.
96139-1

The first time I switched it on I saw the Unisys AQUANTA logo.... I entered the BIOS but on exit I selected 'Save settings and Exit'. At this point the computer stopped and never exit from Bios. I waited for 2-3 minuts and then powered off the pc. After this the computer never boot and the screen was always black even using a new CMOS battery.
However the first time the battery was low.
Loche
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:14 am

Yeah that is Acer OEM stuff alright. I have to dig up the tech info so we can hunt down the CMOS clear jumper or button to reset the CMOS to defaults. You are sure you didn't connect or disconnect anything else in there by accident?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Loche » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:58 am

Yes I have done nothing more ...:) but after a few days I tried to reset the bios with Phoenix Crisis Recovery Disk utility but I think the file size was wrong. I used a 512k bios file for a 256k CMOS :(
It wasn't a good idea...

Then I found the Aquanta DM/6 II's user manual on the Unisys website and I read that CMOS memory can be cleared by removing the battery
for 15 seconds. But as I said the battery was low from the beginning.

The only Jumper I found on the motherboard is used to set CMOS's memory to 128k or 256k (256 is the default value) and another one to clear BIOS's password.

I would like to send you some links but I have not the permission to do that until I get 5 posts on this forum...
Loche
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:50 pm

but after a few days I tried to reset the bios with Phoenix Crisis Recovery Disk utility but I think the file size was wrong. I used a 512k bios file for a 256k CMOS crying
It wasn't a good idea...

ouch. no that's not good.

evasive@motherboards.org is my email
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:52 pm

I have some old Pentium Pro mobos, with Intel chipsets of the 440FX family. Also have some old driver sets for some Pentium Pro mobos.
One is a Dell Optiplex Pro, one an Epox PP6-NP, the other an IWill P6AN.
On some of these models, you have only the two 6-pin power plugs from the PSU, but on others you have the 20-pin ATX type power plug. If using the two 6-pin power plug intent, then removing the battery for 15 seconds should reset the CMOS. But if using the 20-pin ATX power plug intent, then the PSU must have its mains plug pulled, and a few attempts at starting to drain reserves. Otherwise, the BIOS may receive power from the PSU for several minutes, and removing the battery is futile. There may be a jumper near the center slots for device cards, noted for clearing the CMOS. If your model has a separate battery for the BIOS, you are lucky. Many models used a DIPP chip made by Dallas Real Time which was part of the BIOS network and also contained a battery! Very hard to find these chips, and if soldered directly to the mobo, not much you can do. There was a trick to grind into the top of the case and connect leads to an external button cell. Will have to find that page.
Doubtful the BIOS is corrupt, unless the wrong program version was flashed to it. But if settings are not exact, then the POST check can cause a freeze.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:06 pm

It appears we have half of a 512kbyte bios in a 256kbyte chip here Karl, that will be no good. Now if I have access to what disk was used I might also find the right disk somewhere. So far the public section of Unisys has proven worthless but maybe if I get an account I'll be able to download the good one...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Loche » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:31 am

Hi guys. I have an account on the Unisys website but there is nothing for Aquanta DM/6 motherboard there.
The only things I found was my computer's User Manual and the PhoenixBios 4.0's User Manual. No drivers, no Bios file.

After the disaster I put the bios chip on an Award motherboard and made a Bios Image using the aflash utility.... but I've got a 384Kb bios file! I think it's a realy bad file. :)
Loche
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:06 pm

you may want to send me the details and let me have a go. If it's in there I will find it...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to BIOS