bios write protection problem

Moderator: The Mod Squad

bios write protection problem

Postby toroloco » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 am

hello to all the forum in my first post and problem.

I am trying to flash the bios in a pcchips P53G (V1.0) mobo because it gives all kinds of error, FFFF, A6A9 and various more and I am not being able of installing windows in than pc.

in the board itself, where it says bios wp, there is nothing, there are not two pins for a jumper so i assume it is enabled in the mobo.

in the bios program, where it says bios protect, I have tried to flash it with both options, enable and disable, but i allways get the bios is write protected message.

I tried to flash as I have done with other mobos, using a windows 98 boot record with the flash utility and the rom in it, but I get bios is wp.

I also tried with a pendrive, using a dos with usb program from the hirens boot cd but i get the same message.

how can I get it? where I am wrong?

thanks in advance

cheers
toroloco
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 am

Unless you have some odd OEM board, the BIOS WP pins will be covered with a black jumper, shorting the two pins to each other. You need to take that jumper off to allow writing to the BIOS chip.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby toroloco » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:04 pm

there where there should be two pins, there is nothing but two dots.

Anyway, I also tried to flash the bios after solderin a thin cable between those two metallic dots.

thanks for your help.
toroloco
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby toroloco » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:07 pm

also, not having anything uniting those two dots, which could have been pins, would mean not having the jumper, wouldn´t it?
toroloco
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Yep. Is this a board out of something like a Dell or Compaq, by any chance? Been awhile since I've seen that, but OEM manufacturers have been known to disable BIOS flashing to prevent added functions.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 am

That or forgetting a switch when using a flash utility. Then there's the odd bad chip that will cause the same error message. Using the wrong bios image (512kb/256kb) can also cause this. What flash utility and what bios file are you trying to use?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby toroloco » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:13 am

fussnfeathers

I dont know the procedence of the board, but I think It was first bought in a shop separately, not having been part of any machine.

could it be that they disabled bios flashing via jumper but permit it via a choice in the bios manu? as I said, in the bios utility, there is a choice where it says, bios protect, with two choices-enable, disable-I tried them both with no success.

evasive

I am using both the flash utility and bios that appear in the mobos support page.

the rom is 080818S.ROM size 524.288
the utility is AFUDOS.exe

thanks again for your help
toroloco
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

same on my pc

Postby jraday123 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 am

i have also pcchips p53g v1.0 but i have no problem on updating or flashing my mobo...before it was released on 9/13/07 and then i update or flash my mobo it was automatically restart and it released now in 8/18/08
jraday123
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to BIOS