Modify Packard Bell Bios via Windows

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Modify Packard Bell Bios via Windows

Postby D3retla » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:13 am

Thanx:

I want to modify my notebook bios via Windows because I'm using an external keyboard which only works once the system is in full boot, built-on keyboard obviously not working.

I've downloaded BNOBTCv5, and I have no idea what to do. Are there any software specifically to modify my particular Bios, or does Bnobtcv5 already has that function?

specs:
: Packard Bell
mobo: NEC Computers International Rhea B
Bios : Insyde Software MobilePRO BIOS Version 4.00.00 R1.18
CPU : Intel® Celeron® M processor
D3retla
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:53 am

It would help if you told us what keyboard you are having trouble with.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby D3retla » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:11 am

It's an USB keyboard that only works when windows is booted, thus i'm unable to press F2 at post to access BIOS.
D3retla
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:33 pm

If you still have the PS/2 keyboard, use that to go into setup and enable USB legacy devices. That enables them before booting the OS.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby D3retla » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:10 pm

It's a laptop that doesn't have PS/2 port. Save for taking it apart and finding a replacement notebook keyboard, I have no choice but to modify the BIOS via Window.

The whole point of this is to re-install Windows. I've already copied the OS onto it via my home network, what would happen if I re-install within Windows?

That gave me two options: 1) Upgrade Os with programs intact...
2) Fresh install

I want a fresh install then I thought what if Windows restarts expecting the OS cd to be in the drive.............
D3retla
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:22 pm

You can't really install XP from within a Windows install. You can, however, install it over a network, but the problem there is you won't have USB enabled yet.

An over the network install, eliminates the need for a CD ROM and/or a floppy drive in your computer. It will also allow you to install several copies of XP simultaneously on different computers. Before starting, copy the i386 directory from your hard drive to a network server and share the directory.

Start the installation by booting with a floppy disk with network support. Details here.
Note: You must have smartdrv.exe running on this disk or installation times will be staggering.

Map a drive to your network share by typing NET USE X: \\COMPUTERNAME\SHARENAME replacing 'computername' with the NetBIOS name of your computer and 'sharename' with the name that you shared the i386 as.

Switch to your network and type the following at the command prompt: X:\i386\winnt replacing "X" with your actual drive letter.

The installation will start.

On the next screen you will be prompted for the location of you installation files. Type in X:\i386 replacing "X" with your actual drive letter. You can bypass this screen by using the following syntax when starting your installation from the command prompt.
X:\i386\winnt /s:X:\i386. The /S switch defines the location of the startup files.

Setup will modify the master board record, changing the required startup files to NTLDR, BOOT.INI and NTDETECT.COM. It will then copy the setup files to temporary folders on your hard drive. The folder's names are:
$WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS When the file copy is completed you'll see the first screen.

That will get you going, once you get to that point, it installs like using the CD locally. Like I said, though, you won't have USB drivers installed yet, so I don't know if that will work for you. Really, if the keyboard is shot, and you can't even get into the BIOS, then even a network install isn't going to help you.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby D3retla » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:42 pm

"if the keyboard is shot, and you can't even get into the BIOS, then even a network install isn't going to help you."

YEP, coz I have to tell the BIOS it's a network boot.

What if I partition the drive and install the fresh OS there then when it restarts to complete install, it'll simply boot from the new partition.......
D3retla
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to BIOS