xfx 750a sli No boot after Flash update

Moderator: The Mod Squad

xfx 750a sli No boot after Flash update

Postby jmcu » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:44 pm

I updated my motherboards BIOS to 1.7 , (a xfx750a sli ) from the ISO file from their site. Flashed the BIOS, said it was complete. Restarted.
Now when I start, I get CMOS checksum bad. And CMOS date / time not set.
I can F1 into Set up, Set date / time, Exit and save. Then it just hangs and does not boot up. No beeps, no code.

I reset the CMOS, with the jumpers, but everytime I restart the PC I get the error.
I tried to reflash with a different download, but get the same results.
Powerd off and removed the battery.

If i use the CMOS reset button on MOBO then i am able to load the default settings from NVRAM to get system started. But if I shut down and restart it will not load again, until I press the CMOS reset again.

I am not running SLI , not OC the cpu or mem.running a 9800GTX and all my settings in the BIOS look normal as far as I can tell.
What am I doing wrong here?
Thanks for any help....
jmcu
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

FIXED

Postby jmcu » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:37 am

Removed all but one stick of memory and my video card. Started the system on the onboard video. Clear CMOS again and then started the computer. Go to the BIOS setup and then save the settings as they are.
jmcu
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:00 pm

That "CMOS checksum bad" is just a general error message... could relate to any feature, from memory to conflicting IRQ/DMA assignments to 'lost' boot path.
Whenever doing a BIOS update or flash, you have to ensure that the previous settings are restored to default. The PSU provides a stand-by power source of +5 volts, to power the USB ports and other features, even when the computer is "off".. but still gets power from the mains. The battery is only a back-up for when no power is provided by the PSU.
The only sure way to do the CMOS clearing is to pull the power cord, attempt a few starts to drain the reserves.. then remove the battery, and use the jumper feature. After about 10 seconds, the BIOS settings should all be restored to default. Then put the battery back in, power up and go directly into the BIOS pages and set all features to comply with how the system is physically set up. If using a USB keyboard or mouse, ensure that the 'legacy' feature for USB is enabled so the POST (Power On Self-Test) process can detect those default features.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:02 pm

settings not sticking -> low cmos battery me thinks -> replace with a new one.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby TheMonkxxx » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi,

I had the identical problem myself. In fact our setups are so similar it's scarey, my only difference is I have an 8800GS video card.

Anyhow I had to upgrade bios due to a cpu upgrade, and got the same problem. The bios would flash and all went well but upon reboot my system would hang, no beep nothing.

I did notice however it kept trying to access my DVD drive. I only have two devices in my system a hard drive and DVD drive. Both are on an IDE cable and are not sata. I also noticed whenever I reset the cmos jumpers and managed to get into my bios it would list my dvd drive as mater and hd as slave. That was accurate so I thought nothing of it.

Well after hours of trying to correct the issue I figured I'd check the jumpers on my devices. The dvd drive was set to the master jumper, however my hard drive was set to "cable select". Thinking I had nothing else to loose I set it to slave.

Next time I booted up the system alerted me to set my clock and date which I did. And there after my system worked fine, it appears if you're bios is stating that your boot devices are in a specific sequence you have to ensure your device jumpers match the bios setting.

As an aside I tried all suggestions found on this page and others but nothing helped except the solution I found above.

Good luck!
TheMonkxxx
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:56 pm

Thank you for the info 8)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:32 am

TheMonkxxx wrote:Hi,

I had the identical problem myself. In fact our setups are so similar it's scarey, my only difference is I have an 8800GS video card.

Anyhow I had to upgrade bios due to a cpu upgrade, and got the same problem. The bios would flash and all went well but upon reboot my system would hang, no beep nothing.

I did notice however it kept trying to access my DVD drive. I only have two devices in my system a hard drive and DVD drive. Both are on an IDE cable and are not sata. I also noticed whenever I reset the cmos jumpers and managed to get into my bios it would list my dvd drive as mater and hd as slave. That was accurate so I thought nothing of it.

Well after hours of trying to correct the issue I figured I'd check the jumpers on my devices. The dvd drive was set to the master jumper, however my hard drive was set to "cable select". Thinking I had nothing else to loose I set it to slave.

Next time I booted up the system alerted me to set my clock and date which I did. And there after my system worked fine, it appears if you're bios is stating that your boot devices are in a specific sequence you have to ensure your device jumpers match the bios setting.

As an aside I tried all suggestions found on this page and others but nothing helped except the solution I found above.

Good luck!

Great point.

If you want to use cable select, then both drives on that cable have to be jumpered to that setting. Doesn't matter with SATA anymore, unless it's an old-ish SATA drive that still had jumpers.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:18 pm

If having an optical drive on the same IDE data ribbon with a hard drive, then the data speed of the hard drive will be less than expected. Best to have only hard drives on one IDE ribbon, and optical drives on the other. If a motherboard has two IDE ports, they are labeled on the board as well as shown in the manual.. plus being color-coded as to use. Use of the newer 80-wire IDE ribbon is recommended for all applications, but it has a set pattern of use for each header. You cannot "mix" drive locations as with the older 40-wire cables.
If there is only one port for IDE on a board, then surely there should be SATA ports. Any older IDE device can be used on SATA ports, with an inexpensive adapter. Just ensure the drive is set to 'master' only.
If you have no alternative as to use of an optical plus hard drive on the same IDE ribbon, then the hard drive MUST be as 'master' and the optical drive as 'slave'. You can use the 'cable select' mode on each drive, but the hard drive should still be on the 'master' ribbon header.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS