computer will not boot after flash bios

Moderator: The Mod Squad

computer will not boot after flash bios

Postby failedflash » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:44 am

Hi, I have a emachine that I was updating for a family member a T2899. I had Bios TCB431b version, flashed to TCB432L. MB is k7M-NF 18g (AU31) FIC board.
source =world wide web=.e4allupgraders cannot post the full url...

Used Win flash utility and now it does not boot. I see it access the cd light flashes a bit and hard drive light flash on time. Pulled the battery out and shorted jumper, but have not yet pulled everyhting out and try it. Any help how I might recover this. I have a copy of the old bios on the machine that I cannot access :)

thanks
failedflash
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:21 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby failedflash » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 am

yes, used the file as the website said. My old was 512kb.

How do you create a auto run dos program to load from floppy w/o user interaction?

Do you create a .bat file in notepad?

i.e.

AWDFLASH TCB413.bin/Py/Sn

save file as AUTOEXEC.bat

When machine starts, will auto load the *.bin file? I am not sure I am creating the *.bat file correct?

Also, I am getting 4-beeps from the mother board when it starts?
failedflash
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby failedflash » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:30 pm

Do you add a space after the .bin /py/sn/f/cc/r or .bin/py/sn/f/cc

The batch file does not seem to be running, never goes into a reboot.
failedflash
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:11 pm

Large debate on whether to add a space after each command argument, as well as after the primary command. My preference is to add a space after each separate command.
Creating an autoexec.bat file should automate the process somewhat, but you still may need to input some file names. It is important to save the old program from the BIOS, naming it the same as the new program.. but use a different tag name, such as *.old instead of *.bin. This way you have a working BIOS program, in case the new one does not work.
When a computer is first started, the BIOS cannot read above a FAT12 format. The first few files (in the MBR) processed on a bootstrap are in that format, and then the conversion is made to the active file system and OS files.
The surest (and safest) way to flash a BIOS is with a floppy disk, with minimal commands. The older MS-DOS 6.22 will do, so too will a command-prompt mode in Win 98 for formatting and making a floppy disk bootable in minimal fashion. If you lack the means to create the disk, go to www.bootdisk.com/ for suitable files.
The BIOS flash program should have 3 or 4 files.. the new BIOS routine, an autoexec.bat file plus a readme.txt file and license agreement. They should be within a zipped file that an installer program uses to extract and place on that formatted diskette.
After the BIOS update has finished, wait at least two minutes to ensure all files are written and registered. If the system then does not auto-reboot, do so manually. It is important that the process of CMOS clearing be done after the BIOS update, to ensure there are no conflicts of older configurations with newer. And each BIOS page should be checked to ensure the settings agree with the physical makeup of the system.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:35 pm

failedflash wrote:Do you add a space after the .bin /py/sn/f/cc/r or .bin/py/sn/f/cc

The batch file does not seem to be running, never goes into a reboot.

.bin /py /sn /f /cc /r

4 beeps? Any difference in length? what pattern?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:34 pm

If you have a floppy drive and it the computer is continually accessing it then you should be able to do a bootblock repair....you did make the floppy bootable? I'm a little concerned though that you can't see anything on screen as modern(ish) computers are able to do boot block repairs using the AGP card.
If the bootblock has been destroyed then it'll need a Hot Flash, not so easy these days.

As far as the beep codes go, Award Bios's usually only beep if there's a memory or graphics error so its difficult to say what 4 beeps means.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:57 am

1 long 3 hort = video card
4 long = CPU fan speed too low. I suspect this will also happen if you use a fan with only 2 wires.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby failedflash » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:16 am

thanks for everyones help. From what everyones says I am wondering if by me putting in a older pci video card (thinking it would not access the agp, from reading post) now maybe the beeps are saying the video board, not sure the first beep might be a hair longer. The MB has 3-pci and 1-agp express slot.

I will put in an old agp, (not express) video in. By default the system was setup for onboard video. That seems to not be still working. I not sure if that was all software or jumper to turn off. I will look for the manual online. I have seen that yesterday on FIC site.

The FIC website is poor, I did find listing for the machine. The site said there is no upgrade, thus showed no bios. I was amazed at how many version of awards flash are used for their MB.
failedflash
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby failedflash » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:55 am

well I cannot believe it. I put in the express vidoe card that I had in it and BIOS awards splash screen came up. Check BIOS settings, left in flashed bios and hooked HD and CD, then mem. So far everything is working. Going to try this BIOS version and make a safe copy of the old bios now that I have access to it.

What is the best way to update all the drivers, if not supported by manf. use third party snoop like Everest and search out drivers for the MB chip sets? Just asking maybe you guys know how to do it faster then I have.

thanks
failedflash
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS