Basic Question: MoBo without integrated graphics

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Basic Question: MoBo without integrated graphics

Postby Very Jerry » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:22 am

I am planning to purchase a motherboard that has no integrated graphics.

I know you must add a video card to the build if you want to see the BIOS the first time you power up. How does BIOS operate so you can see it on your monitor, if you cannot load a video card driver until you have loaded a OS? I will be using a monitor with native resolution of 1440x900. Does BIOS have a primitive driver to get one by until a proper driver can be installed?

Cannot find a discusion of this on any forum or even in the manual (gigabyte) of the motherboard i am planning to buy. Must be a stupid question, but I await any enlightenment
Very Jerry
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:53 pm

In strictly general terms, video cards will operate without a driver during startup. In fact, the Windows-based video card driver you will install after Windows is installed doesn't even load until the login screen appears, it's one of the last things to actually start when you turn the computer on. Bit more complex than that, but I figure somebody else with more time can explain in more detail.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:39 pm

All video cards will default to standard VGA 16-color, 60 Hz on start up.
That is the highest resolution/refresh rate the BIOS can work with, in basic mode. Some older systems may have had provisions in the BIOS pages as to higher resolution for command-prompt modes, but today all is "universal" on start-up until the OS comes into effect and uses the desired drivers.
No drivers will enhance the video mode until after the BIOS pages have been read by the POST process and compared to the physical setup. Then a bootstrap (handover) to the OS is done.
For newer video cards, there likely is a power socket on its inner edge. Ensure it is connected to a plug with leads from the PSU. The slot cannot provide the full power it needs for proper operation.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Thank you

Postby Very Jerry » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:51 pm

The replies were what I expected. Just nice to verify. Again Thanks
Very Jerry
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to BIOS