how could i edit my vmware BIOS DMI?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

how could i edit my vmware BIOS DMI?

Postby hayden000 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:45 pm

As i install a vmware on my computer, then i change vmware's bios to IBM. i use Phoenix bios editor modified strings, but just system serial can't be modified, it shows as:
Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 25 bytes

System Information

Manufacturer: emperor

Product Name: Changedok

Version: changedok

Serial Number: VMware-56 4d d2 bf 8d ea 6e ec-81 67 6d 50 42

72 07 46

UUID: 564DD2BF-8DEA-6EEC-8167-6D5042720746

Wake-up Type: Power Switch

So, is there any way could modify the Serial number?...
hayden000
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:40 am

Hang on, are you sure you want to change that stuff in the first place? What are you trying to achieve? It's possible to customize the bios to a certain extent but some things cannot be changed.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hayden000 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:16 pm

yes, i think. cuz my OS get root privilege by system serial number, but this serial number is too long , not in right form. is that some methods to chang it?
hayden000
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:50 pm

root privilege? on what? are you trying to install an OS and do you need it for that or? what error message do you get?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hayden000 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:12 pm

firstly, thanks for your reply. as i install a special linux on Vmware workstation, of cause i installed with success. But, this special linux switch user from common to root, need a password. and this password is generated by System Serial number, now you know the Serial number looks like :Vmware-xxxxxx is not the right form for generating password. i don't know if i tell this clear enough, anyway, do you know how to modify this Serial number in DMI??
hayden000
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 pm

This means this special Linux built was made for a certain machine with that specific serial number and you are not entitled to use it as root if you don't own that machine.

I suggest you contact the maker of that linux build to obtain one that does run on a vmware box with root privileges.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hayden000 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:22 pm

oh my god, Evasive. do you really know what is VMWARE?...
hayden000
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Evasive is 100% correct. You cannot run that Linux distro on VMWare, it is keyed to work with the machine it was designed for, and no other. There is no way to change that, it is hard-coded into the kernel.

And he's probably forgotten more about VMWare than you knew in the first place, so watch it. He knows what he's talking about.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:26 am

hayden000 wrote:oh my god, Evasive. do you really know what is VMWARE?...

I have no idea how I got software RAID5 to work with openfiler on my ESX box using only onboard SATA. </sarcasm>

As for your question, I suspect this has to do with licensing, if there's one thing we do NOT do here is telling people how to crack things...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hayden000 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:48 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:Evasive is 100% correct. You cannot run that Linux distro on VMWare, it is keyed to work with the machine it was designed for, and no other. There is no way to change that, it is hard-coded into the kernel.

And he's probably forgotten more about VMWare than you knew in the first place, so watch it. He knows what he's talking about.

really? in fact,i install this Linux on SUN vbox with success,so why SUN vbox could change the bios' system Serial number? and i don't think you know what im talking about.Evasive either. its nothing with license or cracking. i just wanna know how to modify DMI, i don't think you know how to . cuz i've google so many staff about this topic.........
hayden000
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS