Why won't my ASUS P5MT-M allow me to enter the CMOS setup?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Why won't my ASUS P5MT-M allow me to enter the CMOS setup?

Postby Giffyguy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:21 am

When the system POSTs, it doesn't display any options for entering the system setup. The official manual for this motherboard claims that you need to press <Del> to enter setup, and I've tried this a dozen times without success. I've also tried <Ins>, <F1>, <F2>, <F3>, <F4>, and <Esc>.

What is going on here? Does anyone know what I need to do to get into the system CMOS setup?
Giffyguy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:31 pm

perhaps u r taking too much time to press the (DEL) key or ur monitor takes too much time to light on so u r missing the initial screen with the press DEL message.

on anyway, start tapping the DEL key as soon as u turn on ur computer and see if u have any success this time.

good luck

SAMH
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Giffyguy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:36 pm

I've pressed <Del> several times/second, starting right when the computer powers on. It still hasn't worked. How could my CMOS setup be disabled, when this motherboard is brand new?
Giffyguy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:36 pm

If you're getting a short Asus splash screen at boot, you'll probably have to hit the Tab key to allow del to access the BIOS menu. Just a thought.

Also make sure the CMOS jumper is set in the "normal" position. Oftentimes the boards are shipped accidentally left in the "reset" jumper position.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Giffyguy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm

The problem is that the BIOS waits for the RAID adapter to initialize before it lets you into the CMOS configuration. The RAID card currently won't initialize successfully, but hangs indefinitely, leaving no time for the BIOS to finish initializing and allow the CMOS configuration to be accessed.

Physically removing the RAID adapter from the PCIe slot and re-booting allows the BIOS to finish initializing completely and prompt for the usual access/configuration options.

(In my case, it told me that my CMOS checksum failed and that I needed to either load the default CMOS settings or configure my CMOS manually. I assume the checksum failed due to the fact that I had upgraded the BIOS to a newer version without refreshing the CMOS. It seems that thedude's advice was true in the end - although not the cause of the initial problem.)

I didn't mention my RAID adapter in the initial question because I had no idea it was relevant.
For this I apologize.
Giffyguy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:45 pm

What the brand and model of that RAID adapter and have you got another system where you can set it up and flash it with the latest bios available for it? You are describing quite a bug there and things like that are usually solved with a bios update for the card in question.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:37 pm

LOL yeah, that second BIOS chip was a pretty important thing to leave out. Oh well, no harm done, other than maybe 12 hours time. Definitely check for a newer BIOS for the card, it's probably as simple as the current version having issues playing nice with your mobo BIOS. It happens, not all cards work right on all boards.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 pm

The odd thing is, on my Albatron board there's a SIL8212 RAID card integrated, if I press F2 before that bios initializes, it will go through its paces and then go into setup of the main bios. So yeah, it is possible to do that with a proper written add-in card bios.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Giffyguy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:25 pm

It's a Promise SuperTrak EX8350

I'm going to try to figure out a way to fix the BIOS, which is vastly outdated.
Giffyguy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:51 am

evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to BIOS