BIOS Version EV91510A.15A.0123 Upgrade?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:25 pm

Call Gateway. You've got a 915GEV motherboard, which should use DDR2 RAM, unless there was something in my punch today. The BIOS you've got from the Gateway site is for the 915GAG chipset, plain DDR RAM.

Do this. Go through Gateway support. Go by serial number. Let it take you to the download. Take notes, in case you need to walk the tech through this. Tell them the BIOS doesn't appear to match your motherboard...........although, to be honest, I can't find a single 7310S motherboard on Gateway's site that uses the 915GEV chipset. Everything listed is for GAG. I'm starting to doubt you have the proper BIOS installed in the first place.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:56 am

Sometimes Intel will release one bios for several boards. That includes different chipsets and combined DDR/DDR2 support is not uncommon. They did the same trick with several i845xxx chipset boards SDRAM/DDR ones too.

Essentially you want to contact Gateway if only to find out if there is still "tech" in their support.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby siliconchips » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:18 am

fussnfeathers wrote:Call Gateway. You've got a 915GEV motherboard, which should use DDR2 RAM, unless there was something in my punch today. The BIOS you've got from the Gateway site is for the 915GAG chipset, plain DDR RAM.

Do this. Go through Gateway support. Go by serial number. Let it take you to the download. Take notes, in case you need to walk the tech through this. Tell them the BIOS doesn't appear to match your motherboard...........although, to be honest, I can't find a single 7310S motherboard on Gateway's site that uses the 915GEV chipset. Everything listed is for GAG. I'm starting to doubt you have the proper BIOS installed in the first place.

I would call Gateway if my warranty hadn't expired (it expired years ago).

The most likely reason that I have a different BIOS version than a 7310S should have is that the motherboard died and was replaced (by Gateway) while the 7310S was still under warranty by Gateway. Perhaps the best solution is to ignore the 7310S model and just go by the current BIOS version of the motherboard. Do you think this is a reasonable assumption? The problem of course is that I must find the latest BIOS version for a motherboard without knowing the motherboard's corresponding desktop model.
siliconchips
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:24 am

That's going to depend on whether the chipset is a dead-straight Intel stock. If its been OEM built for Gateway, and not completely Intel (with maybe some features disabled, s'why guys will risk bricking a board with non-branded BIOS flashes) it probably won't work to use another board's BIOS. The only Gateways I'm 100% sure of you could use Intel BIOS's on were the pre-Acer (barely) E Series rigs, those were pure industry standard machines. AFAIK, they've gone back to the old "gotta get everything from us, boys" approach.

I'd give tech support a try. I suggest calling, then keep drilling until you get to mid-level tech support or higher, don't accept the answer of the guy the teleprompt menu sends you to. Chances are somewhat good you'll not only get a solution, but a link to get the file you need.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to BIOS