BIOS Version EV91510A.15A.0123 Upgrade?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIOS Version EV91510A.15A.0123 Upgrade?

Postby siliconchips » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:06 pm

hi everyone! i have a gateway desktop computer with the following bios version: EV91510A.15A.0123

i am trying to find a newer version of this bios, but i simply can't find it on gateway's site. i can't contact them for help because tech support on the computer has long expired. i did some searching around and the closest topic i can find to my problem can be found here (by the way, i'm sorry for the format the link was posted in, but i'm not allowed to post any urls yet):

h t t p : / / w w w . wimsbios. c o m /phpBB2/topic7591.html

the main difference between my problem and dmb's problem is that i have not yet flashed another version on top of EV91510A.15A.0123. also, i don't understand how AG91510J.15A.0816 can be the newest version of this bios, since they don't even start with the same letters. does anybody know where i can start? i've checked on intel's site as well as gateway's site, but i must not be very good at finding things, because i haven't found a newer version of this bios version. please help! if i have not given enough information, i would be more than happy to do so; simply let me know what information you need. thanks for reading this :D
siliconchips
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:02 am

Some people have managed to flash the intel bios and keep their firewire running but others seem to have a dead board.

What system model do you have?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bsimecek » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:35 am

I have a Emachine T3882 and I emergency flashed the mb with the retail intel BIOS. There are few tricks involved, but huge advantages. I too was told a bios update was not available.
bsimecek
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby siliconchips » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:20 pm

evasive wrote:Some people have managed to flash the intel bios and keep their firewire running but others seem to have a dead board.

What system model do you have?

I'm using a Gateway 7310S. One time, the motherboard was actually dead and needed to be replaced, so I'm not sure if they replaced it with the exact same one that I bought with the computer. I don't really mind missing Firewire functionality, actually, but it would be pretty bad if my entire computer stopped working because of a bad Intel flash.

If losing the use of my entire system is avoidable, I would gladly attempt it. What is the procedure?
siliconchips
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bsimecek » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:44 pm

if the mobo is a pureblood intel (labeled), you run the risk of scraping it unless you have a known compatible (.bio file) bios of the mobo. the .bio would be in any of the previous releases of known good bios update. I would hunt this down first.

If it is an intel board, you have the option of "emergency flashing" the board by putting a compatible intel .bio file on either a cd or a floppy, removing the configuration jumper from the board, and turning the system on. The system reads the .bio file, and then shuts down...you put the jumper back on turn the system on and you should be good. I had to go directly to the bios setup to disable my onboard lan (othwise it would have caused my system not to boot)...

Sites of interest (they apply to my board specifically, but any intel board should do)...

http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/I ... mvr2.shtml
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardwar ... rsion.html
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic7591.html
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardwar ... rsion.html
http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/mot ... sers.shtml
http://s8.zetaboards.com/emachineupgraders/forum/1607/
bsimecek
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby siliconchips » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:43 pm

bsimecek wrote:if the mobo is a pureblood intel (labeled), you run the risk of scraping it unless you have a known compatible (.bio file) bios of the mobo. the .bio would be in any of the previous releases of known good bios update. I would hunt this down first.

If it is an intel board, you have the option of "emergency flashing" the board by putting a compatible intel .bio file on either a cd or a floppy, removing the configuration jumper from the board, and turning the system on. The system reads the .bio file, and then shuts down...you put the jumper back on turn the system on and you should be good. I had to go directly to the bios setup to disable my onboard lan (othwise it would have caused my system not to boot)...

Thanks for your reply!

What do you mean by pureblood Intel? If there was an Intel sticker on the outside of my case, is that the label you're referring to? (lol, sorry I'm really new to this).

Also, what is the compatible bios of the mobo that you're referring to? I looked at the BIOS update section on the Gateway site, but all the BIOS update files don't seem to match even the first too letters of the current version of my BIOS :(.
siliconchips
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:42 pm

What he means is it has to be a straight, Intel chipset. Many OEM's like Gateway use a modified chipset, and will be labeled as such. Typically, as was said, you risk losing some functionality, like an added-in Firewire controller or RAID, but you do run the risk of the modifications to the chipset being in the controller itself, meaning the system simply will not boot at all. If the northbridge is labeled with an Intel logo and model, then the chances are very good it's a straight-up Intel chipset. If it's labeled anything else, like a Gateway logo, then an Intel BIOS will likely not work at all.

And no, the sticker on the case has nothing to do with it. :P That's just a marketing sticker so people know the system has an Intel processor and what type. (or AMD, if you happened to have an AMD based system). I have one of those stickers I got as a gag gift......"Idiot Outside"
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby siliconchips » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:53 am

well, it's definitely preferable if i could get my hands on a copy of gateway's bios version to flash with. i don't want to scrap this computer just yet.

what information could i provide any of you with so that you could perhaps find this version on gateway's site? maybe i'm just bad at searching.
siliconchips
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bsimecek » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 pm

If you are looking for the bios version that your system came with, a gateway tech should be able to give you a link. You just need to find the .BIO file in the gateway bios install package. If you do attempt an upgrade without an old .bio file, it can be a bit scary.
Even with my upgrade and my extensive experience and research (i didn't have a gateway bios on hand) I was very creeped out after my system rebooted the first time and my system seemed dead! The quark with my system was that the built in network adapter had to be disabled or elese the system wouldn't boot a SECOND time.
If you can find a .BIO file in your gateway bios download and your system board is a "Intel" board from the last few years, you can't loose your board.

Risk vs reward
bsimecek
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby siliconchips » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:06 am

bsimecek wrote:If you are looking for the bios version that your system came with, a gateway tech should be able to give you a link. You just need to find the .BIO file in the gateway bios install package. If you do attempt an upgrade without an old .bio file, it can be a bit scary.
Even with my upgrade and my extensive experience and research (i didn't have a gateway bios on hand) I was very creeped out after my system rebooted the first time and my system seemed dead! The quark with my system was that the built in network adapter had to be disabled or elese the system wouldn't boot a SECOND time.
If you can find a .BIO file in your gateway bios download and your system board is a "Intel" board from the last few years, you can't loose your board.

Risk vs reward

The only problem is that my tech support for that computer has long expired. Now that Gateway has been bought by Acer, I'm not sure how they will react. Besides, if they give me anything at all, it will be something that we can download ourselves from the Gateway website. I guess the question for me is how to identify the correct version. The first few characters of the BIOS version that the Gateway site indicates is the correct one to me are completely different from the first few characters of the version of my current BIOS. If I upgrade despite the difference, will I lose my computer?
siliconchips
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS