Bios low battery warning on KOB 730s FSMx mainboard

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Bios low battery warning on KOB 730s FSMx mainboard

Postby msdos85 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:10 am

Hello, I'm new in this forum, and i found it in searcing for an answer to my problem.

I have an old KOB 730s FSMx mainboard, with a 900 Mhz CPU. The problem is that every time i unplug the computer, after i plug it again it resets the bios setting to default and gives me a low battery warning. It's disturbing because i have problems with my windows and also with my antivirus as the clock is reseted to 2000. I know a little about soldering, measuring the battey power, etc ... i've tried to follow the battery voltage to see where it goes, but it's a little hard as the mainboard is, i don't know how to properly spell it in english, multi-cable, you know what i mean.
So the bios i have is a : 686 AMIBIOS 1999 BR47 4340 - this is all that is on the sticker from the cip. An on the cip i have PMC Flash B8J56 0211 Pm29F002T-90PC.
And to clear the point before you ask, i have replaced the battery with a new one :D .. the result is the same.
I need a solution, if you have :) , i prefer to solve the battery problem, but if this is not possible, if there is any chance i can edit a backup of my bios setting with the desired settings and flash it again. Example : i set up the default date to 2009, the boot options, videocard size, etc, and to flash it back as the default settins, so when the power goes down, when i turn it on, just to hit F1 to load the default settings, the year will be 2009 not 2000 etc. I hope you got the point :) . 10x
msdos85
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 am

Check for bad capacitors
http://www.badcaps.net

That new battery was indeed a crispy new one bought in the store with a blister on it that had an expiry date well into the future? They have a sell-by date for a reason.

Last but not least, try a different keyboard, have seen that causing a cmos battery error once.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby msdos85 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 am

All capacitor are loking perfect ( but last week i run into 3 pc's with that problem). The batey was a Varta, with a blister, but i didn't looked at the date ... i had 2 batteries brought that day, from different stores, the same problem. The computer was tested with 2 PS2 keyboards and a usb keyboard, and no difference. I even tryied to replace the original battery with a motorola phone battery having a 3,7 V, 0,4 volts more than the original battery .. still no change. The last chance i have is to flash the bios to see if i have any luck .. but the mercury website does not host the bios anymore on their website, so i'm still searching for the bios file :( .
msdos85
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:36 pm

I've got this one on file:

Model: KOB 730s FSMx
Bios version: 020815s
Release Date: 08/26/2002

Release Reason:
1. First release

I'll email it to you
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 pm

The typical BIOS battery is a type CR 2032 'coin' cell, nominal 3.0 volts.
They do not put out a lot of current, but have good life when within 'drain' limits. A load of about 20 mA is needed to properly test them, or one of the specific testers for those 'coin' cells. But you could use one of those super-bright white LED lamps that many stores sell, having a max voltage of 3.2 volts. The LED should glow brightly when you place its leads over the cell. The larger LED lead is the positive (+) one.
And when you are in need of an emergency flashlight, one of those cells and an LED are very handy!
Many motherboards of more than 10 years age may not use that coin cell.. instead having a tiny battery "pack" soldered in at the rear of the board, near the keyboard port. The typical name was Varta, and they had a 3.6 volt rating. About the size of a hot dog bite. Older computer BIOS batteries:
The battery is just a backup source for the BIOS and CMOS memory, when no power gets to the PSU or motherboard. When the PSU is working, then a source from it powers the BIOS and CMOS. Two simple diodes handle the switching of power. And no, you cannot, and SHOULD NOT, recharge those batteries!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Inu Silver » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:56 am

So, the CR 2032 is also the kind used in an Inspiron 2200 Laptop? Just checking, because a friend of mine is replacing the battery in my laptop tomorrow night. And I've been getting an odd thing with my computer, where the time goes from 3:30 pm to 4:16 pm, and then back to 3:30 again.
Inu Silver
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to BIOS