my motherboards is not detecting any HDD

Moderator: The Mod Squad

my motherboards is not detecting any HDD

Postby jbodyconnection » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:57 am

Hi Guys
I have a problem none of my motherboards =P2XBL and ASUS P2B-F is not detecting any HDD but if I plug in the HDD into my other computer that is Celeron D motherboard it picks up the HDD so is there something wrong on the motherboards of P2XBL and P2B-F.
jbodyconnection
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:05 am

Sounds like older mobo models. Here is a link to the manual for that Asus P2B-F.
If the BIOS date is fairly old (more than 6 years), then it may not recognize a hard drive cylinder count of high order.. such as with drives larger than 80 Gb. The drive specs may be presented accurately, but the BIOS does not recognize it. Check with the manufacturer for any recent BIOS updates that may help. And if using the 80-wire IDE ribbons, ensure that the drive is configured (jumpers) and connected to the respective header. The older 40-wire IDE ribbons were not dedicated to the master/slave/host connectors as are the newer 80-wire ribbons.
Use only the primary IDE port for the hard drive(s), with no optical drive on the same ribbon. Otherwise, there may be conflicts in recognition.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:19 am

check for bulging capacitors http://www.badcaps.net
also it's possible the southbridge chip has died, happens more than usual on the P2B/P3B series.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jbodyconnection » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:38 pm

I have tried with different IDE cables and I tried moving the jumpers around and the bios is still not picking it up and I also tried 2 different hard drivers smaller then 80gb hard drives and the motherboard is still not seeing them.

one hard drive it have freenas and other hard drive have vista on it.

I know these 2 hard drives are working because I tried it on 3 other computers.
jbodyconnection
Initiate
Initiate

Postby jbodyconnection » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:42 pm

just a quick update my ASUS motherboard doesnt pick up anything larger then 13GB hard drive.
jbodyconnection
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:58 pm

jbodyconnection wrote:just a quick update my ASUS motherboard doesnt pick up anything larger then 13GB hard drive.

And if there is no BIOS update for that board, then you may not be able to run any drive larger than 40 GB. If the BIOS page for setting the hard drive type allows use of 'normal', 'large' or LBA settings, you may be able to trick the BIOS into seeing the larger drives properly. Choose the LBA field, for a 'user' type drive. Divide the cylinder count by four, and multiply the head count by four. Don't change the sector count! This is the way many older boards could accept larger drives than their BIOS limits. You would have to create partitions of about 10~12 GB each, for the BIOS to have access to the drive. This can be done with a Windows 98 boot disk, having the basic service commands such as Fdisk, Format and Sys plus a few others. The primary partition must be within the limits of the BIOS, but the extended partition can be the remainder of the drive, and you fix partitions within it for drive letters. 2001 was a BIOS date that could accept up to 30 GB single partitions, on some boards. A 40 GB with two partitions would also work.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:16 pm

last P2B/P3B series bios picks up anything up to 120GB so update the bios on those boards.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jbodyconnection » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 pm

can you please post a link up where to get this latest bios update because I went to DFI and I didnt see a good bios update.
jbodyconnection
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Here is the link to Asus Support.
For BIOS updates, go to this link. Choose your OS type to continue. Expand the [+] box, and note the 2002/08/28 update P2B-F BIOS 1013A which should work on your board. You may want the utilities and flash program, also.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS