Problem upgrading BIOS in old Intel Motherboard (CC820)

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Problem upgrading BIOS in old Intel Motherboard (CC820)

Postby fabiete » Tue May 19, 2009 9:56 am

Cheers everyone!

I have an old computer with an Intel CC820 motherboard (Pentium III @500 Mhz; 512 Mb RAM) still happily but somewhat slowly running Windows XP.

When I tried to install Linux the system stopped indicating that my BIOS (ver. P06) was too old and that I needed to update it to a post-year-2000 version.

On the Intel support pages I found BIOS P09 (i.e. CC82010A.86A.0015.P09.0004211251) but I absolutely cannot get the update software (P09-bios.exe) to work.

I have followed the instructions but the system does not see the floppy as a bootable device. This is the sequence I followed:

1. download P09-bios.exe file from Intel site to a dedicated directory
2. format floppy disk as bootable
3. execute and unpack P09-bios.exe
4. move resulting MK_BOOTZ file to another dedicated directory and execute/unpack
5. execute MK_BOOT to modify floppy
6. back to initial dedicated directory
7. execute bios a: command to copy BIOS flash programs + data to floppy

If I boot from a: the system seems to respond correctly at first (autoexec.bat seems to run properly) but then it stops and requires that a bootable disk be introduced in a: ........................

Can someone please help? Thanks in advance
fabiete
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue May 19, 2009 10:20 am

try the same procedure with a known working floppy drive and a NEW floppy disk. This looks like a bad floppy disk.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fabiete » Tue May 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Just to clarify, the floppy drive does work and I have tried the procedure with 6 different floppies (2 new, 4 used): same results all the way.....
fabiete
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu May 21, 2009 6:28 am

The BIOS will recognize only a FAT-12 formatted floppy disk, until the OS becomes active. Any older DOS-type boot regimen will work, also Win 98. You want no more than the basic boot routine, plus the BIOS update files and executable program. If you can't get a suitable boot process, then check www.bootdisk.com/ for needs.
Don't forget to save the old BIOS program to the disk, but don't use the tagname 'bin' as the new file has. Use 'old' or 'org' as the tagname. If the new program doesn't work, you can 'unflash' the BIOS back to the original!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri May 22, 2009 12:44 am

fabiete wrote:Just to clarify, the floppy drive does work and I have tried the procedure with 6 different floppies (2 new, 4 used): same results all the way.....

clear the cmos (set to defaults)

edit out the autoexec.bat statements with a rem and see if it will boot to the prompt. then do the same commands by hand.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Fri May 22, 2009 3:05 am

As usual, the flash instructions are wrong... They are telling you to make a bootable floppy twice... Way to do this is;

1) Create bootable floppy in XP
2) In the floder on your hard drive where you have saved P09-Bios, RIGHT Click on it with your mouse and if you have winzip or winRAR installed, extract the files - YOU NEED WINZIP or WINRAR to do this..
3) A folder should appera where all the files have been unzipped to, called P09-bios
4) In this folder you will see a file called BIOS - extract this using winzip or winRAR...
5) in the folder called BIOS, you will see an AUTOEXEC, BEEP, FLASH, IFLASH and various bios files... Select all these and copy them to your bootable floppy...
6) Boot to the DOS prompt using the floppy, run the FLASH.EXE batch file and follow the onscreen instructions...

Looking at that BIOS though, its signature appears to be the same as the one you have.... :o
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Fri May 22, 2009 3:24 am

Mr T wrote:Looking at that BIOS though, its signature appears to be the same as the one you have.... :o

that my BIOS (ver. P06) was too old and that I needed to update it to a post-year-2000 version.

On the Intel support pages I found BIOS P09 (i.e. CC82010A.86A.0015.P09.0004211251)
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS