faulty bios

Moderator: The Mod Squad

faulty bios

Postby mukiduk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:04 pm

My computer locks up all the time. I have cleaned the hard and installed windows XP but everytime I try to install anything else or even connect a flash drive to the computer, it freezes.
I have checked all the hardware and it seems to be ok. The only thing wrong is that, during the post when the computer tries to start, I receive a message that says. "Mac address are invalid in both APC and DMI" press F1 to resume.
I have tried disabling the network card but it does not make any difference.
The motherboard is a AsRock GE-PRO-M2 and everything is integrated except the modem. It has 1.25MB ram and I have tested that with memtest and even swapped each piece and tried to run it withonly one in place.
(1 x 250MB and 1 x 1GB)

Any help would be appreciated.

Allan
mukiduk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:21 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Your query would be better located in the 'general' topic folder. A Mod may see fit to move this thread, but please don't double-post.

Whenever setting the path for bootable drives in the BIOS, include only those drives which are needed. Don't list all drives, as any storage drive will self-ID itself to the POST inquiry. If a drive is listed that won't provide a boot path, excessive wait times or other errors can result.
Avoid a LAN or network boot path, unless required to boot the machine.
Once the OS has become active, then networking features will be set properly.
Having mixed amounts of memory will also cause problems. With almost all modern mobo designs, dual-channel memory setup is used. There are different colors for the memory slots, and the same color slots must first be used. The memory modules must be exactly the same as to timings and amount, but brand names are not important.
Best to put away that smaller memory module, and find an exact mate to the 1 Gb module you have.
Would also help if you list all the specifics of the system, such as power supply wattage and OS type.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:43 am

the MAC address message is a problem in the bios, i think they released a new one. What release date is the bios?

Could be another problem though, you board may have bad capacitors. see http://www.badcaps.net for how to check on that.

Last but not least could be a flat cmos battery.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS