Upgrading BIOS on a Biostar m6vlq V.2

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Upgrading BIOS on a Biostar m6vlq V.2

Postby thatdude2001 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:16 am

I got a brand new Biostar m6vlq v.2 mobo with a Celeron, socket 370, chipset 601-686b, Bios updated 3-14-02. An ASUS cd-rom, 1g mem.
My problem comes from installing win98 (a fossil i know). It posts fine except asking for a driver for the monitor, but it won't allow me on the internet saying it can not find the server. I don't think it reconizes the ethernet adapter. when i open the device manager it deosn't show a network adapter besides a dial-up which i don't have, and yellow !!'s on the monitor and it says the drivers for my mobo r out of date.
Now, there is an update for my bios but it says it can not find when i use the flash that came in the BIOS cuz it's looking for a floppy! I don't even have a floppy! I tried to put it on a flash and nothing. i tried to use a seperate utility but my mobo doesn't even reconize the USB?? Any advice would be much help since my current com is dying slowing'
Thx in advance if u can help
thatdude2001
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Re: thatdude2001
Windows 98 and ME are limited to no more than 512 Mb installed memory. Any higher amounts will cause numerous problems.
As to the monitor, set it as a "Plug and Play" or "default" type. Windows (0f any version) doesn't need drivers for a monitor, only the "inf" file concerning it, to optimize video settings. The disk that came with the mobo will have appropriate drivers for all features, for several OS versions. If not, then you will need to use another computer to download those drivers from the Web site of the mobo manufacturer.
By default, Windows will create networking processes even if you have only a modem, even if not.
As to any BIOS updates, the only sure way is via a floppy disk. The BIOS program and associated write process are written to a floppy disk which has a minimal boot process. You don't want any extra features working, during a BIOS flash.
Only the very latest BIOS types may be accessed via a USB or optical flash process.. or via the OS being active. Any mobo prior to 2004 will not work in this newer fashion.

If you want all the features and backward compatibility of Win 98, but more memory access, go with Windows 2000 Pro. Same look, feel and operation.. but much more stable. And still supported with security updates, unlike Win 98 and ME, which are officially "orphaned".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

BIOS

Postby thatdude2001 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Thx Karlsweldt, I agree 100 on the os, i have winxp pro on two of mine and it makes it simple, but, i dont have the disk for either, they came installed. All i have is an old win98, and Ubuntu, and well.
So i have to find an old 3.5 floppy to upgrade the bios?! Wow. You said Windows should create networking processes, the lan is on board so it has to read it, maybe it is a driver issue with windows. It light's up so, probably something i messed up in the internet options. When i do get the online issue resolved is there a flash utility to update from windows? Thx again.
thatdude2001
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:14 am

You need a seperate driver for the network card:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=M6VLQ
on that same page the video driver is available as well.

You can leave the bios upgrade alone unless you are using those specific Hynix memory modules and have trouble with constant crashing.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS