MSI PM8M-V Bios question

Moderator: The Mod Squad

MSI PM8M-V Bios question

Postby phlashman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:21 pm

I've got some experience with these things but I'm a bit puzzled by this one...need some sage advice please.

1: Gen Info

MSI Mobo PM8M-V MS-7104:2.A

Celeron D SL7NY 3.2 Ghz (Which, if what I've read is correct) this Mobo supports.

Everything boots fine when I reset the bios but then it asks me to enter cpu settings. This is where I get lost and confused. I've tried through trial and error to change the frequency settings but it doesn't accept the changes.

The Bios chip has "Winbond" stamped on it...I'm not familiar with this bios.

I'm obviously overlooking something any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

'
phlashman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Here is a specs link on that model.
If the CPU is indeed supported by this model, then there should not be a query about "settings".
Whenever doing a BIOS flash, it is important to clear the CMOS and reset all features to default when the computer is shut down after the completion of the program write.
The only way to ensure a complete reset is done is to pull the mains power cord, and attempt a few starts to drain any PSU reserves. Then remove the battery, and move the jumper to the 'clear' position for 10 seconds or so. Place the jumper back to 'normal', then replace the battery and power up. You should go immediately into the BIOS to set the preferences.
With any processor, its FSB needs reflect on what type of memory is used. If slower than required, the system will be unstable or not start at all. If faster than required, there should be no problems. The BIOS should be set to auto-detect memory timings, and the SPD factor used to set them.
Since the newer processors have many extra pins that auto-set the base FSB, core voltages and multipliers, there is no need for on-board jumpers to set. But some mobo models may have a small jumper block to effect the base FSB speed.. 100 Mhz or 133 Mhz or whatever. Check the manual for details. The FSB works in even multiple steps.. 100/200/400 or 133/266/533 or similar. Memory works best (dynamically) at the "middle" frequency.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby phlashman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Much thanks, Hmmm, have no Idea what the prompt is all about though. I've pulled the battery and power cord from the board. Done all this before and never had a message like this one. Usually, the bios recognizes the processor so...BTW, I have a 1 Gig stick of DDR thats from a working machine. This board has done this every time with the exception of a 2.4 P4 I had lying around. It picked it up and booted fine...Hmmm maybe I should flash this bios before I go any further??? Thanks for the reply BTW, think I'm gonna enjoy the company here.
phlashman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to BIOS