How to remove Bios password Clear CMOS battery??

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How to remove Bios password Clear CMOS battery??

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:47 am

IHere is what happens when I turn on my laptop.

I get a blue screen prompting me for a password. I'm assuming it's a bios password. When I was in the bios screen a while ago, I tried resetting a password. Unfortunately that resulted in this extra prompt. I can enter that password fine.

I need to get rid of the password??

Toshiba Satellite L305-S5915
Last edited by BIGMAN131307 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:01 pm

Topics such as "passwords" and "unlocking" features cannot be answered, on the Forum. This is due to lack of substantiated proof of ownership of the programming or device. If a Mod observes the thread as suspect, it will be locked. No help will be given for passwords or "unlocking" unless it is a general process with all systems. Certain programming discussions such as bit-torrent are not acceptable or condoned. If the question regards a general process similar to all systems, it may be allowed.

"Due to the lack of ownership verification of computers, and laptops we are no longer offering any form of support for lost/forgotten passwords. This goes for BIOS, Windows log in, etc.
ANY posts asking for help with removal or cracks to passwords will be deleted immediately.
Any questions on this new rule please feel free to PM or email me or one of the other moderators."
Thanks for your cooperation...
Toby B., Moderator.

But due check your owner's manual for any mention about passwords.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Copper » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:02 am

BIOS passwords can only be created and deleted when your in BIOS
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:11 am

Copper wrote:BIOS passwords can only be created and deleted when your in BIOS

That's how I did it by mistake. :(

I need to clear the CMOS battery for my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5915 laptop.

Where do I find it in this laptop? I've looked at several sites online with no luck. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I don't want to fubar it. This is the only problem I have left with this laptop.

Thx, :)
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby TriAngle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Look on the bottom of the laptop first.
Sometimes, the CMOS battery is located under the keyboard. Othertimes, it's underneath one of the bottom covers on a laptop.
Most laptops require you to remove the top panel just above the keyboard. They usually pop up with a small screwdriver or plastic tool (be careful). 2-4 screws hold the keyboard in place, with a cable ribbon connecting the keyboard to the mobo. Don't twist it too much, lay it flat back upon the palm rest of the laptop.
Good luck.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby TriAngle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:17 pm

TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby TriAngle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm

TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby TriAngle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:24 pm

That's a 'rechargeable' RTC battery, not a plain old CMOS battery.
It must be replaced with a 'rechargeable', identical to the original.
If you install a standard 'non-rechargeable' CMOS battery, it may explode, and/or give off poisonous gasses/vapors.
Get it right the first time.
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 pm

I've been to those forums, with no luck.

:( I'm not trying to "replace" it. All I want to do is find it, so I can reset my BIOS password to factory settings.

I've already tried various DOS command prompts. A couple seemed to work at first. I'd reboot my laptop and the BIOS password would not be there. I'd reboot again, and it wasn't there. I tried a couple more times and the same results. I also completely shutdown my laptop. Then restarted it, and the same results. But after I shut it down, then started it back up after 10-20 minutes it came back. :(

I'm now back to needing to locate the battery.

What about this thing called KillCMOS ? Would this help me? How do I use it?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:43 pm

All laptops would have three batteries. The main power battery is obvious. Under the keyboard, you should be able to see the other two. One would be a single coin-type battery, on short leads plugged to the mainboard. The other is likely a flat, multi-cell type connected similarly. The single cell battery would be the BIOS battery, and the longer, flat one would be the 'sleep' battery. The BIOS battery is not rechargeable, but the 'sleep' battery is, when the main battery is charging. The 'sleep' battery provides memory power when the unit goes into a 'snooze' or 'sleep' mode for a short period. Usually evoked when closing the lid.
Once you can get into the BIOS, there is a page where you set passwords for total lockout or per user. But if the password is on the OS access, then only the person who has Administrator rights can change it.
Removing the main battery and BIOS battery should cause the CMOS memory settings to revert to a default mode, possibly with no passwords. It is best to check with the manufacturer of the unit as to exact procedures for password clearing/removal.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to BIOS