An motherboard impossible to identify...

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby GregAdam » Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:29 am

Yes, the back side of the board looks very similar to that on the picture, but I thought it is standard for the ATX motherboards. The difference is that my board has neither ISA nor PCI slots. It only has two slots that look like AGP slots, one is long, the other one a bit shorter.
And if a board is proprietory one what does it exactly mean? Does it mean that there is no way to identify it? and that there is no description of it in the internet?
Greg.
GregAdam
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:49 am

GregAdam wrote:Yes, the back side of the board looks very similar to that on the picture, but I thought it is standard for the ATX motherboards. The difference is that my board has neither ISA nor PCI slots. It only has two slots that look like AGP slots, one is long, the other one a bit shorter.
And if a board is proprietory one what does it exactly mean? Does it mean that there is no way to identify it? and that there is no description of it in the internet?
Greg.
Proprietory means that the board has its own "shape". A proprietory board is (in this case) non-identifiable. I could possibly find a picture of the board if I had the model info off the case (which you dont have)...The slots you do have sounds like a Riser card slot and a slot that fits a Cache memory chip. Your board from the sound of it is a desktop board. The PCI and ISA slots would be on the Riser card.

A proprietory board is setup to only work with a propreitory power supply. IF you plug in a standard ATX power supply to the board you will fry the board. Proprietory power supplies/motherboards are wired completely different then a standard power supply/motherboard although a standard ATX power connector will fit into the connector on the board it is no the same.

I hope this makes some sense to you.
Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby GregAdam » Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:23 am

Hi ! :)
I think I've found it ! It must be one of the Presario 4700, 6700, 4100 or 4400 Series, the pictures I've found at http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/compaq/mb/compmb.htm
look exactly like my board. As far as I can remember, of course, as I don't have it with me.
The question now is: can such a board work with a Pentium 100 MHz processor? As far as I know I have to multiply the P8 Bus Speed by the P9 CPU Clock Multiplier (the values are given on the page for Presario 4700). That means that if I set the jumpers P8 for 50MHz and P9 for "x2", my processor should work. Or am I wrong?
And what power supply do I need? I have one with 230W. If the board gets fried, it's no problem, I want to try it anyway :)
Greg.
GregAdam
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:36 am

Actually you can set the jumpers to 50MHz X 3.0 without harm. And as for the power supply.............Do not even think about hooking up a standard ATX power supply to the board, there is no telling what damage would be done to the power supply (i.e. waste of money.). I have a power supply that would work on your board. if interested please PM me for details.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby GregAdam » Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:48 am

Thanks for your offer, but I don't care much about my power supply :) it didn't cost me a penny. Even if you sent me yours, the cost of it would be to big, as you live somewhere in the USA and I live in Germany...
I'll test the board this evening, and write you about the results... I only hope I won't blow everything up :)
Thanks,
Greg.
GregAdam
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:52 am

8O :wink: BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby GregAdam » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:06 am

Hi,
it's me again. I've tested the crazy board with a 200W power supply, nothing bad has happened, but it simply doesn't work. I've put some memory on, plugged a graphics card in, I don't know what the problem can be. The only thing that has changed is that the board beeps shortly after switching the power on. But then it stops and nothing happens, the monitor receives no signal either.
I have another board too, a newer one this time: ASUS P5A-B with an AMD K6-2 350 MHz processor. But it doesn't work either. I've set all the jumpers right. I have no memory modules for this one, can it be the cause? I've also tried a 400 MHz processor, but it's no good either.
Thanks,
Greg.
GregAdam
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:45 am

it's me again. I've tested the crazy board with a 200W power supply, nothing bad has happened, but it simply doesn't work. I've put some memory on, plugged a graphics card in, I don't know what the problem can be. The only thing that has changed is that the board beeps shortly after switching the power on. But then it stops and nothing happens, the monitor receives no signal either.
Try clearing CMOS. I had a compaq deskpro recently have the same fit. Clearing CMOS fixed it.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tau » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:23 am

Reference the Compaq mobo.
I have had in recently a Compaq 5166 Desktop and a 5133, make one good one out of these he says. So off i go swop hdd and stuff from the 133 into the 166 and hey presto zilch nada nothing no fan on heat sink monitor made a noise and came off standby p/s goes but nothing else.
Spent 10 mins going over what i had done but couldnr find anything obvious, went and had a beer and smoke put the riser card in the board and hey presto the b/stard posted all it needed was the riser card installed.
Whether this is relevant to your problem i am not sure but you said the board did not have any PCI or ISA slots, so you may need to fit the riser card if you have one.

Tau.
Tau.

"Learn from other people's mistakes, it's quicker."

Tau
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby GregAdam » Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:01 am

Hi,
as a matter of fact, I haven't seen a riser card before, I assume it is a card that fits into one of those AGP-like slots and then the board has some PCI and ISA slots. How much can something like this cost?
Greg.
GregAdam
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum