upgraded compaq 5004US to Win2K....maybe help needed?

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

upgraded compaq 5004US to Win2K....maybe help needed?

Postby truman262 » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:35 am

Hi, a few months ago I upgraded my 5004US to Win 2K, couldn't stand WinME. I thought everything was perfect, machine runs fantastic, thought I'd located the drivers I'd needed. Until I found that I have IRQ conflicts....6 of them to be exact are using IRQ 11, two major ones being my sound card and video card (SoundBlaster Live 5.1 and a GeForce3 Ti200) no longer OE. Would this be the result of installing Win2K on a machine that has proprietary software? Do I need software for the Motherboard? Help please :?
-truman
truman262
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Toby B. » Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:45 am

If all of your components are the same as what came with the system, you should be able to do a QR to get the conflicts taken care of.

Toby

**You upgraded from Me to Windows 2000?????I am assuming that you did a fresh install not an upgrade as Win Me cannot be "upgraded" to Win 2000.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby truman262 » Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:36 am

correct, I did a clean install, but not all items are the same. i have a new CD-RW, new video card and new sound card....and an extra HD. so what's QR?[/code]
truman262
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Toby B. » Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:20 pm

QR = Quick Restore

but where you added the new components I am not sure that a Quick Restore wil in fact work. Hardware Junkie is the all knowing Compaq guy; he should be able to help you out.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:57 pm

A Quick Restore will most likely fail with all those extra components in there. You have to restore the machine to factory configuration and then run the QR.
You can obtain QR disks from 1-800-841-2761.
They charge for shipping though.
And it will bring your computer back to Windows ME. They don't make them for other operating systems for specific models.
And you'll most likely have to use the QR procedure (listed below) to get it back on the drive.

QR Procedure:
Place the QR #1 disk in the top most drive in the system.
Restart
When the system turns on, make sure num lock is on
When you see the blinking QR logo, press caps lock (to turn it on)
When you see the non-blinking QR logo press num lock (to turn it off)
If it asks you for a language at any time use English
When you see the welcome screen press Ctrl+Q.
It may prompt for a Load Code, use W51DECCB for the 5004US

If you want to continue using Windows 2000, here is the driver downloads for the original hardware configuration:
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_result ... 2791&Os=93
If the above link generates an error, go here:
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby truman262 » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:24 pm

:D thanks for help, I'll check the links. Yes I love Win2K. Have been using it since Feb. and have never had a problem with it. ME on the other hand, I didn't like so much and when I talked to Compaq, they suggested that I leave ME on it, but it ran so badly that I had to do something. Even if I have the IRQ issues, the machine runs so great that I wouldn't go back.
Thanks again,
pol.
truman262
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Aussie » Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:51 pm

I have IRQ conflicts....6 of them to be exact are using IRQ 11

This is typical of an ACPI compliant bios with an ACPI compliant operating system loaded, this is not an IRQ conflict situation at all this is the way ACPI is supposed to work.

the machine runs so great

Surely this wouldn't be the case if there were in fact IRQ conflicts so I would leave things as they are.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby truman262 » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:26 am

Thanks Aussie,
A friend of mine told me 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', and he tried to explain why it would come up with the irq conflicts and also be running fine. You explained it quite well. Thanks again!
=truman :o
truman262
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum