Compaq 5340 motherboard ID(Compaq board guru needed!)

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Compaq 5340 motherboard ID(Compaq board guru needed!)

Postby quantumphase » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:29 pm

I picked up a Compaq Presario 5340 bare motherboard that works great. I don't think however Compaq made this board. I am trying to see if it was made by someone else. It looks similar to a Gigabyte GA5SMM but I'm not sure. It has a Part number of: 387640-101 and a spare p/n of:
120694-101. It has a SiS 530/5595 chipset and a SiS 6801 I/O controller. It also has this stenciled on the board: 098A02 Ver: 1.3 It has 3 pci, 1 isa and 3 dimms. It also has a sticker on the board that has this on it: LB914097 MUSTANG-S. The Gigabyte board I mentioned is similar except for the I/O chip which is an ITE 8661. I read somewhere in this forum that Mitac manufacturers some of Compaq's boards. Any info on a possible manufacturer beside Compaq would be appreciated!
quantumphase
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:23 pm

Motherboards that are in Compaq computers are OEM - meaning that a company builds a motherboard specificaly for compaq to put in their systems. Mitac, Uwave2, are just a couple of the board manufacutrers that I know of. Hardware Junkie may be able to help you out more on this. OEM boards built for compaq are only supported through compaq.

Hope this helps

Toby

Info I found on your board:
http://support.tandy.com/support_comput ... /56758.htm

More info:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinforma ... ev3_us.pdf
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

5340 motherboard...

Postby quantumphase » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:19 pm

Thanks for the reply! I've tried some research on this board myself. It does not seem like most other Compaq proprietary boards (looks like a normal board) with a standard ATX layout. It even fit into a generic ATX mid tower case with no modifications! I hate the limited Compaq bios in this board thats why I want to try to find the manufacturer. I have come across this before with Gateway boards made by Tyan and have used Tyan bios's instead of the performance crippled Gateway bios with complete success. If I can find a board manufacturer that has a board similar to this one (mainly chipset and I/O chip being the same) then I am relatively certain the bios will work. The Gigabyte board is the same except for I/O chip but I have read that the SIS 6801 ant the ITE 8661 are the same so maybe. I have spare bios chips just in case.
quantumphase
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:27 pm

Quantumphase, your are correct in your assumptions about Compaq using Gigabyte around this time. But they used other comanies aswell.
Your board and the GA-5SMM do have the same chipset, but they are not entirely the same.

If I could post a picture of your board I would but my webspace is down right now, here is a [picture of the GA-5SMM.
There are some serious differences. One the RAM slots should be on the opposite side of the processor. Second there is 1 too many ISA slots.

Also I cannot guarentee your board will function if you flash back to the original BIOS, they may have changed the BIOS chip or some other functions aswell.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum