The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:52 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hi I have an old Motherboard that I am having a difficult time identifying, Here is a picture of the board and hopefully someone can Identify it. I have analyzed the bios and have not found anything so far. Please help

Attachments:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 135.95 KiB | Viewed 960 times ]
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:55 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Not a clear enough image to find info. Use the 'macro' mode on your camera (flower icon) and better lighting.
Some details on what the CPU is, and the info on that large SIS chipset would help. CPU Socket type 2, 3, 4, 5, or 7?
If you do get it to boot up, the lower left corner of the first screen has the BIOS string. That is a positive ID of what it is.
The BIOS battery next to the keyboard socket may need replacing, if any blue-green "hairs" are noted! The acid can leak out and eat through the traces. Easy enough to replace.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:16 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

There is no information on the board itself other than an icon and copyright date, will post other photos of the board

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:20 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

The motherboard is Socket 3 with an AMD CPU installed, the board boots fine and the battery is good as well, will provide BIOS ID when I can boot it up again, currently it is. It installed in a case

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:56 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Here is a link to a better image of the board that will be better viewable.
https://app.box.com/s/jewmsx86ktb98qclujik026awxofpbk7

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:46 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Good image, thanks. But no real info shown as to what brand. The chipset logo indicates it is a Socket 3 design, possibly working an AMD DX2-66 CPU. Possibly early to mid 1990s, but hope for any upgrades are near nil.
As to any hard drive for that vintage, maybe 500 MB would be maximum.. depending on the BIOS limits. Any ports or video features would be provided by add-in cards. The standard slot is ISA 16-bit, but those added slots are for the VLB extension for up to 32-bit processing.
Here is a link to another quest about a similar board and chipset..
viewtopic.php?p=83087

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:18 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

That's why I'm looking for any information on it as there is nothing on the board other than a copyright date of 1993, the board supports higher than 500MB Hard Drive, had a 5GB drive running on it. I know everything about the board other than who makes it and what the jumper settings are and that is what I need to find out. I love working on vintage computers, I'm semi retired from 30+ years of computer repair and still do something's on the side

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:07 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

You may find some hardware tips from these sites.. jumper settings that match your motherboard model, along with the retail or provider's name, possibly a manual link.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/
http://www.elhvb.com/
That "copyright 1993" may only be for a program or feature patent, and may exist for several years.
The BIOS string in the lower left corner of your first video screen is the true ID and vintage of your system. If a problem with noting it, power on without a keyboard connected, with the BIOS set to 'halt on all errors'. Then the screen will freeze. An error message should appear, "no keyboard detected. Press any key to continue".
A lot of older motherboards were limited to less than 2 GB maximum hard drive specs. But if a primary partition within the BIOS limits is set, then there should be full access. The OS can work with larger partition sizes than the BIOS. The BIOS page for hard drives may list up to 48 hard drive specs.. with the last two as "user defined". There also may be a 3-way choice as to interpreting the hard drive specs.. "normal", "large", or "LBA" )logical block assignment). You can adjust the cylinder and head count to comply with BIOS restrictions, but not the sector count. Use a 4:1 ratio, or if as a 100 cylinders/4 heads, set to 25 cylinders/16 heads as an example.
I have been building and repairing computers for more than 40 years. Still remember the "old dog" tricks. BASIC still rules!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Here is the BIOs ID string 40-0100-001594-00101111-080893-SIS461-P, from what I can find 0015 of the 3rd set of numbers is the manufacturer ID supposedly however I can't find anything on it. When I can get a chance I will try a utility from American Megatrends to try and identify it

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Have you done a search for that full BIOS string? One name that came up was "Genoa TurboExpress 486VL", possibly a variant of the same motherboard. The second group of characters in the BIOS string (001594) indicates the manufacturer ID.
The "SIS461-P" portion shows the chipset type used.
References:
https://www.wimsbios.com/aminumbers.jsp
https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/deciphe ... al-number/