Stumped..

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Stumped..

Postby TD2323 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Hello all! This is my first post, my first attempt at building a pc, and my first experience with computer hardware. Sounds like disaster waiting to happen huh?!? Guess we'll see!

I recently got a HUGE lot of pc components, and with no decent outlet and scrap value so low, I figured... why not play around some?

I've identified about 12 motherboards today and am absolutely stumped on this one. Go figure, it seems to be the nicest of them all. I've found several different possibilities, but none of them are exact. It is unmarked with any branding or model, also can't find an FCC ID# anywhere. I'll give you folks what I DO know and go from there. Please, feel free to let me know what else I can provide to help identify, and remember I'm new so don't be too harsh haha.

Facts...
- Labeled on the back with "E206922 PS-1" (third line)
First and second line say "288" and "01 081 8" and an orange sticker that says "powerstart void if removed"
- Chip in corner labeled "686 AMIBIOS 1999 AW72 3991"
- Smaller chip nearby labeled "ITE IT8705F 0132-BXA M4U180" and the other part of what I presume to be the chipset is covered by a small orange heatsink labeled "PC DDR 266"
-Processor is labeled AMD 27111, and the heatsink/fan is labeled AMD 40874966

There are: 5 pci slots, 2 ide slots, 2 sdr, 2 ddr, 1 amr, 1 agp, and an fdc.

From what I can tell from hours of intensive Google research, it seems to be either a pc chips or an ecs motherboard. I'll add some photos to help, and like I said please let me know what else I can provide. I know it'd be easiest if I powered it up and pulled some #s, but I haven't gotten that far in my self-education yet. Thanks in advance everyone!
Attachments
2015-12-22 18.08.38.jpg
2015-12-22 18.08.38.jpg (102.86 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
2015-12-22 18.07.36.jpg
2015-12-22 18.07.36.jpg (247.02 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
2015-12-22 18.05.46.jpg
2015-12-22 18.05.46.jpg (229.29 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
TD2323
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Stumped..

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:05 pm

Welcome to Motherboards org.
From that last image of the top of the board, possibly a PC Chips issue. But you did not note what type of socket the board has. No matter, the " AMD 27111" noted as the CPU is for an AMD Athlon, about 1.4 GHz speed. If the CPU is removed, one side of the socket will have a molded Id. It is roughly equivalent to Intel's Pentium 4 model. The "DDR 266" note may refer to memory type, with a base bus speed of 133 MHz.
I would not warrant hopes of running Windows 7 or newer OS type, but still good for a Linux distro.
I note near the short card slot, at the inner end.. is that a 4-pin square socket for AT12V power? Required link for the CPU power needs, if so.
With the two colors for memory slots, possibly a dual-channel memory design. If so, find a manual for the board, and follow recommended memory modules install.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby TD2323 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Whoops, sorry about that. It says socket 462. The ddr 266 had me puzzled... it's written on the heatsink above what I think is part of the chipset(?)... Google didn't give me any info. Yes, there are actually 2 of the 4 prongs. Labeled "cd_in1" and "cd_in2" . I'd love to find a manual for this, but don't I need a model first? All the pc chips I searched were close but not the same..
TD2323
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:26 am

A confusing 'family' of motherboard manufacturers and brands. Some are their own brands, others outsourced.
You do not need drivers for BIOS access.. only the proper PSU, memory and CPU. Plus a video card if no on-board video.
There should be a small diagram near the front panel header, noting functions. "PWR" or similar notes the power on/off switch.
The first video screen noted has a string of characters in the lower left corner. This is a positive ID of the board and BIOS date.
Get that info, and you are nearing the goal. You could always Google for the type of motherboard you have.. a PC Chips AMD or socket 462 version. Found lots of images, with model #s. You do need the board model ID before finding a manual. Many differences.
I would try DDR 266 memory modules, a pair of 512 MB as base, to see if there is life in the board. But first, look over all the capacitors on the board. If any have domed tops, lean excessively or show leakage, they are bad. And can kill a motherboard. More info on 'bad caps' at www.badcaps.net/
As to the different color memory slots, check by them for a marker of "Bank 0" or "Bank1", indicating possible dual-channel memory intent.
The "Bank 0" could have one module, and none in the other bank, and still boot to BIOS needs.
As to that small socket labeled "cd_in1" and "cd_in2", that may refer to an optical drive audio input.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Seems to be from PCChips, did U look carefully in the base of the PCI Slots, they used to put some labels there that U can use to identify the board

is there any print in the board that says Rev. something because it will be important to be sure about what revision of the model it is, always have differences between them

the site pcchipsusa.com used to have many information anda drivers for all of their models, I don´t know if the info for the old ages is still available

if I understood the description U did, U have two SDR RAM Slots and Two DDR RAM Slots?
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:18 pm

looks pretty like the M830LR or one of it variants

see:

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/mothe ... ps/M830LR/
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby TD2323 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Yep, 2 sdr and 2 ddr. It really does look like that model, closest ive seen anyway! I'll check a little closer after my commute home from work. No markings, no fcc, no Rev., nodda... my eyes hurt all day yesterday from searching the thing over and over and over haha. I have a lot of motherboards and components, this is the only one that stumped me. And I'm not the type to give up. I have been dying to learn to build and upgrade computers my whole life, I'm excellent with software, anything with the internet, etc. It's the hardware I've never ever tinkered with. I was honestly hoping this was better than the board from a 2006 presario so it'd be a good foundation for a long-term pc. But the Compaq seems to be the "newest" as of now. Thanks everyone for your help so far!!
TD2323
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:01 pm

2 sdr and 2 ddr.

If true about that memory setup, the board may date back to pre-2000! Look at the memory slots. If the center key on one color is different than the other color, then indeed could be sdr or ddr choice. They are not compatible if mixed. And now I recall one such PC Chips board similar to this one. Had a long row of jumpers at the edge, each had to be set for the different memory use. "SDR" is for synchronous memory, "DDR" is for double data rate.
Finding proper drivers and a manual could be difficult, for any motherboard more than 10 years old.
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-mem ... ta-p/39606
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:14 am

TD2323, PC Chips boards are notorious for the complete lack of markings, don't blame yourself. It's possible there is "830" somewhere in very small print on the board but don't count on that. The E-number should normally be identifying the maker but there are fake numbers out there and this is one of them. You're lucky to have a licensed BIOS in the first place. It might come back with an ECS identifier, don't worry, ECS and PC Chips were exactly one and the same... Find some compatible memory, a CPU and a video card so we can boot the thing, then we know for sure what it is.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum