Kinda Old Motherboard --- Need Help IBM NETVISTA 8305

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Kinda Old Motherboard --- Need Help IBM NETVISTA 8305

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:48 pm

disk light stays on: connector upside down. either on the motherboard or in the floppy drive. The end connector without the twist should go in the motherboard. Red/purple/blue marker line on the left if looking from the front edge of the board.

The floppy drive is missing a pin in the connector. On that side put the marker line. Use the connector that has some of the wires twisted over, that is the first drive (drive 0 / A: ) connector.

Without the harddrive connected to the motherboard yet, try and boot the system. This time the drive light should go off after a while.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby sirrushx » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:13 pm

THANKS for your replies ,,,,,,,, :)

It turns out that I had used a Floppy-drive Cable that was not "quite" compatible --Iwas using the Cable from a Gateway System()previous Mo-bo().

And I also tried one from a Compaq -No luck ------turns out I had success with one I had saved from an OLD ZEOS tower system that had a 5 1/2 inch Floppy drive as the second drive setup (weird edgecard setup contacts ) ,yet has a standard 34 -pin Fopppy Drive contacts on first connector . :-|

A friend asked "why do you still use Floppies"??? -- I just leave an empty Hole :P in my Chassis!!!!!!!!!!
"If There was any Economic Justice In this United States We live In , We would All Be Driving Hummers & Eldorados & Magnums and Gasolene would be 10 Cents A gallon !!!"
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby sirrushx » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:19 pm

OK -motherboard guys Back again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same Mo-BO -different problem . :oops:

On this IBM-Gigabyte MO-Bo --have a vexxing problem whereas the Cooling Fan on the CPU HeatSink will not Spin ,ROTATE all the time.

I even exchanged fans from a similar Model MoBo and get the same situation.

I notice that the Heatsink is Rather Large -BEEFY on this unit.

Could it be that it<the CPU Cooler fan > doesn't have to rotate as much as a smaller Fan cpu -Heatsink Combo????????

BTW--- I installed a CASE FAN onto this unit -incoming air -------just as a precaution. :arrow: :arrow:

adios -sirrushyxstu
"If There was any Economic Justice In this United States We live In , We would All Be Driving Hummers & Eldorados & Magnums and Gasolene would be 10 Cents A gallon !!!"
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Check the fan operation when turning on the PC from 'cold'. If the fan spins, then stops, that is surely a BIOS feature where the fan is temperature controlled. Spins when needed, faster or slower. Look for "CPU control" or similar BIOS page.
Intended for quiet operation, may have choice as to on always or fast/slow.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:28 am

What CPU do you have?

because it could be the normal operation if U have a not so much heat delivery CPU. I have an PII-355MHz Slot I that uses a passive heatsink (no fan at all)
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Previous

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum