[IDENTIFIED!]Identify the board, need manual: 386/387, SIS

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: [IDENTIFIED!]Identify the board, need manual: 386/387, S

Postby Taro1234 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:38 pm

evasive wrote:well thinking a bit out of the box but using a parallel port CDROM or even a SCSI one? Since you're using old stuff anyway...

I would try that, but I have no ISA-SCSI + SCSI CDROM in hands...
For now, I decided to give up with TEKRAM and to live with PrimeII multi card, as it properly provides the ports+CDROM functionality. As for the caching...smartdrv.exe would do the same trick. Not as cool as HW caching - but no choice. :(

evasive wrote:What 3COM (3C509 perhaps?) card is that? I think I can dig up drivers for basically everything they ever made for almost any OS.

Yes, mine is 3COM 3C509B-C:
If my 30pin SIMMs inside my head serving me well - there was a cool DOS-based GUI config program for this card (as the board itself is jumperless), and also a bunch of TSRs to do networking under DOS. However I have no experience to use it under DOS - those times I only configure the cards and use under Win. Would be nice if you would be able to dig a set of drivers for this 3COM (not only for DOS).
All I need is to have R/W access to Windows shares over standard 100/100 home network (no domain), aka SMB-client. Would be fantastic if there is a SMB-server for DOS, too. :)

I would also try OS/2 on this machine oneday - the HW seems "minimally sufficient" do rock it. :)

PS: Yesterday I run AnotherWorld, FlashBack, MetalMutants, Dune2 and even Doom (which is kinda laggy on this HW, but that's ok). Jesus Christ, what a nostalgia..... :) LOL
Taro1234
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:37 am

With some 386 systems and most 486 systems with IDE ports, a driver may be needed.. even for DOS, in some instances. This gives the best interface results. But has to match the chipset type and model. Older IDE speeds were around ATA 33, some later 486 versions went to ATA 66. That is transfer data speed, in MB/s.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:43 am

3C509B-COMBO is the official name because it has 10base-2/AUI/10baseT connectors.

Etherdisk version 6.0 download which is the latest version I can find. If the stuff in there doesn't want to run on your system, let me know, I'll go into my private archives.
http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/NET/3COM/3C509.ZIP

3COM was taken over by HP after which support was basically killed off. I can't find a single shred of info on 3COM in there.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:05 am

SMB for DOS
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/samba/dos.html
I may even have a bootable floppy image for ndis MS networking under dos for some 3com cards, we could use that as a basis for getting the card to work on your machine and connect to any SMB share.

Some stuff on your Prime 2 card:
http://www.peteweb.com/goldstar.php

The bios from the Tekram card loads if you put it in there and you can set the seconday port to disabled from the bios?

You should be able to set the Prime 2 IDE controller as seconday controller so it doesn't clash with your tekram, then connect the CDROM there and make sure when loading the .sys driver that you load it with settings for IRQ 15 and port 170. This way it maybe skips the bios detection route.

You need to make sure that either the floppy controller on the Prime or the Tekram is disabled, if you put both cards in, otherwise the system may have trouble starting.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Taro1234 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:18 am

Hi guys,

evasive wrote:SMB for DOS

I got SMB running for DOS, thanks!
It was even easier than I expected... No more diskettes, woo-hoo!! :)

evasive wrote:Some stuff on your Prime 2 card:
http://www.peteweb.com/goldstar.php

The link to DOS/Win drivers archive (on that URL) is dead. Do you somehow have those PrimeII drivers?

evasive wrote:The bios from the Tekram card loads if you put it in there and you can set the seconday port to disabled from the bios?

The problem is not in TEKRAM/PrimeII.
The problem is that the mobo does not check/use secindary IDE controller (whatever it might be). It works with the 1st one, only. It simply not even try to initialize the second controller (if it would try that - I will see the tekrram's extBIOS installed while tekram is the 2nd, but it is not).
There is also no any mention about "Secondary controller" or whaterel looks like in the BIOS, too. Also no "Third/Forth HDD" as well. Seems it knows only primary controller+2HDDs on it, and that's all.

evasive wrote:You should be able to set the Prime 2 IDE controller as seconday controller so it doesn't clash with your tekram

It does not clashing - both controllers have "Pri/Sec" jumper, and I properly set that on both.
That's the mobo has no idea about the multiple controllers plugged in it. It uses primary one (whatever the primary is - tekram or primeII), and nothing more it would try.

evasive wrote:then connect the CDROM there and make sure when loading the .sys driver that you load it with settings for IRQ 15 and port 170. This way it maybe skips the bios detection route.

CDROM is working well (once plugged to primeII primary controller).
Plugging that as slave or master or CS to same primeII set as secondary controller - ends up with "Drive: Not detected" while the CDROM driver initializes in config.sys.
Plugging CDROM as ms/sl/CS to tekram - ends up with "Drive: Not detected" in any possible combinations. This tekram has no support for ATAPI devices, as I realized earlier.

Karlsweldt wrote:With some 386 systems and most 486 systems with IDE ports, a driver may be needed.. even for DOS, in some instances. This gives the best interface results.

I don't have any drivers for this primeII...and I can't find those anywhere. But so far it works OK without any drivers... :)

The last step is to agg the mouse (I have serial port functionality in primeII, but no Serial Port backpanel bracket). Ordered that from ebay, waiting that to arrive. Also the old-style Serial mouse, too.

Attached are the BIOSes from my mobo (2 variants, dumped with different programs - a couple of bytes are different, somehow, and I dunno which one is correct) and also BIOS from VGA card (Quadtel/Trident 1Mb ISA). Let me know if you want tekram controller's BIOS - I would dump that, too. But let me know fast - I put tekram on sales now, someone may purchase that and it will gone from me forewer. :)
Attachments
bioses.zip
(89.16 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Taro1234
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:50 am

The relegated IRQ (dedicated) ports for hard drives and optical drives are 14 and 15. The default DMA is either 0 or 1, and if a secondary identical device is mounted, then the next higher DMA is assigned. Some BIOS types of years ago had limited resources and acceptance of these assignments.
IRQ/DMA references: http://www.pchell.com/hardware/irqs.shtml
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:24 pm

yeah put a dump in here from the tekram as indeed this may be one of the last chances we have someone with
a) a functioning card and
b) enough knowledge to make the actual dump :-)
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Taro1234 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:39 am

Attached is the firmware for TEKRAM DC-600T controller, version 1.2E 11/5/1992
2x27256 chips, dumped with IC chips programmer.

Attachments
Tekram DC-600T firmware.zip
(20.49 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Taro1234
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Taro1234 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:11 am

Guys, I now need some help in installing SCM's SwapBox Classic x2 ISA2PCMCIA adapter to the same machine.
I have the ISA card+cable+3.5'' front mount, but I don't have any drivers/software for this oldie. :)
Any ideas?

The pic is not my one, just googled that:
Taro1234
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:27 am

We may need to go generic on that one. What are the markings on the largest controller chip on the card?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum