[IDENTIFIED!]Identify the board, need manual: 386/387, SIS

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Identify the board, need manual: 386/387, SIS chipset

Postby evasive » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:01 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Identify the board, need manual: 386/387, SIS chipset

Postby Taro1234 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:18 am

evasive wrote:http://flashrom.org/DOS
http://www.rainbow-software.org/uniflash/

Thanks. I will try those in a couple of days.

The last question: which EMS RAM extension card will be suitable for this board? Brand/model, maybe... Then I would sniff for those on ebay. I really want to build up the full working system. :)

PS: and I already got a great CACHING HDD controller, and an AWE64GOLD. Hope those will work on this oldie - but maybe not, as they are too advanced and may require PnP BIOS....No idea yet. Need to give it a try.
Taro1234
Initiate
Initiate

Re: [IDENTIFIED!]Identify the board, need manual: 386/387, S

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:09 am

That motherboard BIOS should have standard IRQ/DMA assignments for most device cards. But would not have the PNP feature.
Any device cards would need to be manually set as to assignment. The primary I/O card for floppy and hard drive(s) plus COM and parallel ports is easy enough to set. Still available, but maybe not really "new". Should be a 16-bit type.
The sound card also should be a manual-set type. Any SB or compatible card should work well. The "Awe 32" or "Awe 64" should be no problem to set up, with specific drivers. Some of those older cards could drive non-powered speakers, or set some jumpers for low-power line out to powered speakers. latter is preferred.
As to a hard drive, you may be limited to less than 600 MB. Check the hard drive listings in the BIOS page as to types and specs. The cylinder, head and sector count has to be exact. There may be an extra "47" or "48" listing where you enter the specs of the drive. Doubtful there is an LBA (logical block assignment) feature.
There are many brands and types of video card, a 1 Mb or 2 MB would be the top end, typically a 512 Kb is common.
As to that add-in memory card: The OS would have to be capable of addressing it. Only a specific type to that board would work. Would be best if the memory modules were the only RAM setup. The board should accept 4 Mb or 8 Mb chip types, but not of the ECC type. Cache memory for the CPU and NPU are already on the board. The present modules appear to be 3-chip type, could also use other types as long as the speed range is within the BIOS capacity. Typically 100 Ms.
DOS 6.22 with Win 3.11 should work well on that system, albeit a bit slow. Win 95 (C version, 1997) may also work.
Stick with a serial type mouse connection. Adapters are available for Com to PS2 needs.
If going with a DOS setup, you will need drivers for the mouse and video and sound. An optical drive could be added, but maximum 20x. Specific drivers for that also. And you would need an autoexec.bat and config.sys files to enable drivers and extended memory use. Can provide samples if needed.
Gets a bit complicated, no?
My experience with computers goes back more than 30 years!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Taro1234 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:41 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Gets a bit complicated, no?

Mmm...not really. I am quite familiar with that kind of "jumper's zen". :)
All I asked is the full manual [for my own records] and the brand/model of the suitable extRAM card. Everything else, all of those ISA-based cards and autoexec/mscdex/etc are piece of cake.
Even that BIOS dump - I can easily have it dumped via my TL866A or smtn...but prefer not to pull the chip outta it's socket, you know. :)

Karlsweldt wrote:My experience with computers goes back more than 30 years!

Mine goes 27.
I have soldered my first [8bit-based one] computer myself. And that was working for years! :)
Taro1234
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:45 pm

A lot of knowledge goes with all those years of working with computers!
A lot of older ISA and MCA device cards have gone to the recycle stable. Some still exist, likely eBay may have some offers of older type cards. Maybe also http://www.vintage-computer.com/ . For your board, 99% sure that all contact slots need to be utilized. Still, I would first try some 8 MB and 16 MB SIMMS on-board to see if they work.
The older IBM "Tower Of Babel" ( models 50 to 80) used 1 meg and 2 meg 72-pin SIMMS. But they had a carrying handle!
There may be a manual for that board somewhere "out there". Hopefully.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:21 am

Inside the zip file there should be information for the EMS card too. If not, let me see if I can drag that from the archives as well. As for the caching HDD controller acrd, you already got a manual on that one?

The AWE64 may be a bit too advanced indeed. Check the manual for the minimum system requirements.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Taro1234 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:01 pm

evasive wrote:Inside the zip file there should be information for the EMS card too. If not, let me see if I can drag that from the archives as well.

There is not much about the card itself - no compatible brands/models specified, etc.
Seems the mobo will accept *ONLY* the Octek's EMS card, but not any other. :(
PS: as far as I can see from the last pic - it also utilizes the ISA slot, too.

evasive wrote:As for the caching HDD controller acrd, you already got a manual on that one?

Yes, I have the manual for that (as a paper book). If memory serves me well (I got to dig for this card somewhere deep in my store room - it was not in use for decades)... :)

evasive wrote:The AWE64 may be a bit too advanced indeed. Check the manual for the minimum system requirements.

Yeah....however, it still uses ISA bus - and shall be "hardware-compatible" on signal-level. But I am not sure about the drivers, etc. Worth to try that anyway.

Currently I am looking for a good AT case suitable for this beast. So far can't find just *any* AT case..... Thinking about ordering the custom acrylic, transparent, laser-cut one - but it gonna be a little bit costy. :)
Taro1234
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 am

Seems the mobo will accept *ONLY* the Octek's EMS card, but not any other.

Sadly, it is a fact with most 'expansion' memory cards with multiple contact slots. Some were only for an 8-bit or 16-bit ISA slot, and were mostly compatible.
The first part (larger) of the ISA slots has the power contacts, and the 8-bit bus contacts. The second part of the ISA slot has only bus contacts. The additional slots are only bus contacts. There was also a VESA contact slot addition, with the x486 design. That gave the board a 32-bit capability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_ ... chitecture
You could use a newer ATX type case, just change the I/O port plate, which can be found on eBay or other sites. And there are still many older AT cases available.
Finding older 72-pin SIMMS with only 1 meg or 2 megs each may be difficult. But there are still a lot of 4 meg and 8 meg modules available.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Even though already 2 years ago, here are some pointers:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum ... 38360.html
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Taro1234 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Finally at last! :)

I was able to locate the AT case suitable for this mobo (which is btw large, "full-sized") - and now able to properly build the whole thing and to boot it up to DOS6.22.

I will dump the BIOS as promised once I found a simple way to transfer data between my computer (which has LAN+USB) and this oldie (which equipped with floppies). Swapping the HDD will also not work - my computer has no IDE port...I also have no LPT/Serial ports card for this machine yet (so no mouse or null-modem) :(

Do you know any way to get network running under DOS 6.22? I have 3COM 3C509B-TP ISA/10Mb lan card in this old computer, but yet to find DOS drivers and resident program to get it working on standard network shares....is it even possible under DOS. I have zero experience with DOS+networking. :)

I still not tried to install SBAWE64Gold. But I have installed Tekram DC600B cached HDD+FDD controller equipped with 16Mb onboard RAM - this works just perfectly.
Taro1234
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum