Motherboard Equivalent to BA68-08181A10

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Motherboard Equivalent to BA68-08181A10

Postby bmagerr » Mon May 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
Here is what happened. When I disconnected the drive, I pressed the F2 key multiple times before & when the logos shows up. I eventually got this script:

All boot options are tried. Press <F4> key to recover with factory image using Recovery or other keys for next boot loop iteration.

I got this each time I pressed ESC, F2, F4, F10 and eventionally all the Function keys. BIOS is not showing up. This is why I feel the motherboard is faulty. When I reconnect the hard drive I get the windows 8 repair loop. By the way, I have taken the drive out and scanned it via a USB connection to the drive using the Windows 7 Check Disk with the 2 boxes checked. It scans ok and states no errors. Looks like I am coming to the end of the road trying to ressurrect this laptop. RIP!!!!

Thanks for all your help!
Bob M.
bmagerr
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 26, 2015 6:22 am

Were you able to enter the BIOS before? Normally, the [esc] key is not used for BIOS entry. The [del] key is frequently used, as is the [F2] and [F10].
There is one trick to bringing up the BIOS entry prompt. Hold down any key just after turning on the system. A "stuck key" error message should appear, with the prompt to enter the BIOS or press a certain key to continue.
Laptops have three batteries. The main one everyone knows about, and then the BIOS or CMOS battery. That one has an average life of about 2 to 3 years, depending on use. If going dead, it can cause the real-time clock to fail. And result in either no life signs or OS problems. The date and time being off is a sign of the battery dieing.
There is another battery in laptops, the 'sleep' battery. It keeps the RAM charged when the laptop is not in use, by closing the cover. It seldom needs replacing, is a rechargeable type and maintained when charging the main battery.
Hope your laptop has not truly died.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:53 am

From the user manual, page 95:

1. Turn the computer on. INMEDIATELY press the F2 key SEVERAL times :o
2. After a moment, the BIOS setup screen appears. The items in the BIOS setup may differ depending on the
product.

give it a try
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby bmagerr » Wed May 27, 2015 8:08 am

Unfortunately, all options have been tried. Thank you for enlightening me.
I may still look for a used motherboard. Here are some specs:

Samsung Series 5 (NP52U4C) Motherboard (BA68-08181A10)

If you see this one pass it along and I will try to get it at a reasonable price.
Thanks again!
Bob M.
bmagerr
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed May 27, 2015 4:07 pm

I guess you do not relish taking the unit apart again. But checking all the large capacitors for bulging tops, signs of leakage or excess leaning may be worth doing. Any electrolytic capacitor exhibiting those signs is bad. More info at www.badcaps/net .
Definitely not a good sign, but they can be replaced if one has decent soldering skills or has a pro do the work.
Did several checks as to availability of that specific motherboard, but no luck. Keep an eye on eBay in their computers category.
http://www.laptopking.com/searhbrandres ... nd=samsung
http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/Sams ... Parts.aspx
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu May 28, 2015 2:22 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:58 am

had U tried entering bios setup using an external keyboard? USB or better PS/2 if the mobo have a PS/2 port?

perhaps the problem is the KB not the MOBO
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Sun May 31, 2015 3:27 am

Have you taken the laptop battery out, no power to the lapt and held the power on button in for 30 seconds? This will clear the CMOS. From the symptoms you are describing, it is probably not the motherboard. Motherboards on laptops generally either power on or don't if they have failed. There are other issues such as bad graphics chips, but these are getting rarer on the new models. Do as Rascard said, a faulty keyboard may cause this...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby bmagerr » Sun May 31, 2015 12:44 pm

:D :D :D :D :D Ok, who's the genius that suggested I use an external keyboard? Wow!!! I started getting somewhere. Not sure what I did, but I was able to ressurrect this laptop without getting another mobo. Actually, it was a combination of geniuses. I did disconnect the hard drive in order to get to the BIOS. Then I think I used the recovery thumb drive to get to the Windows 8 recovery, however, I tried many of the options and didn't think I was getting anywhere. I did do the DOS type commands that fixed the MBR & the Rebuild of the BCD, etc, etc. Anyway, I still can't use the laptop keyboard which I am going to investigate. Pretty sure the ribbon was dislodged or disconnected. Presently, I am updating everything on this laptop and I am successful up to this point. Want to thank everyone for their expertise. It just wasn't the external keyboard, but everyone's suggestions. The keyboard was what broke the ice! Thanks again from everyone! Alleluia!!!!
Bob M. :D :D :D :D :D
bmagerr
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 31, 2015 3:05 pm

Sounds good!
Laptop keyboards are more prone to contact failure than regular keyboards. With their thin design, not much rebound space with the membrane layers as regular keyboards have. And moisture can get into the membranes and deteriorate the contact surfaces. Not worth taking the keyboard apart to repair.
Yes, there is a ribbon connection to the keyboard and it has a unique clamp on the motherboard socket. Look for two tiny lips on the edges of the connector. Lift them slightly with dental picks or thin bent-nose forceps. Then the ribbon slides out easily. Keep that clamp raised when putting the ribbon edge back in, and then gently press on the clamp ends uniformly. Be gentle!
Sometimes, substitution of a suspect part can be rewarding.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum