need info on Chaintech MB

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

need info on Chaintech MB

Postby Mike-K » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:00 am

Hello.
I have a Chaintech board (just acquired from a friend -- no manual) that I need a bit of info about. I've tried researching it, but couldn't find the manual. I did find some info on the cpu and memory.

Here are the details.
On a surface-mount IC (on the I/O edge, next to the pci slots) is a label with this:
S1689-000LD
FR4513-1 V1.0
07/12/2005 4600

It has Phoenix BIOS (in a chip carrier) with this:
D686 BIOS

Of course, a copy of the manual would be sweet (pdf or ?) But, I think that all I need is the pin-out for the header for the front-panel stuff (i.e. switches and lights). A scan of that would make my week!

Also, I would like to confirm 1 detail: can it handle multi-core CPUs? Specifically, I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 (ADA4600DAA5BV) that I'd like to use in it; would it work?

N.B. I haven't had this unit powered, and can't (don't know where to connect the power switch).
Mike-K
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: need info on Chaintech MB

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
Your description is not of much help.
List the CPU socket type, chipset brand, and number/type of slots on the board.
On the rear I/O panel, if there is a VGA socket, it would have on-board video. Otherwise, one or two serial ports.
What you note as "S1689-000LD FR4513-1 V1.0 07/12/2005 4600" is a BIOS version and copyright date.
Should be a raised marking on the CPU socket as to its type.
If an AMD CPU socket, there are two versions that look nearly identical.. but are not wired the same for all CPU types.
If an Intel socket, there also are restrictions on CPU type.
There should be a small diagram near the front panel header, noting which pins are for what. Might also be some white paint denoting a brand and model, maybe near the CPU socket.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Simply not enough information to go on..

Give the following a read and reply back with information:
viewtopic.php?t=250

if you can get pictures put them online and link them here or email them to me at webmaster@ctechinfo.net .. PLEASE, at bare minimum include your username here so I will have some idea.. Also bear in mind I do not have 24 hour access to email, I will do my very best to get them posted asap..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mike-K » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Actually, I read the post that Toby stated (and 1 or 2 others about posting -- before I posted). Honestly, I can't understand how describing the board helps identify it (is there a database somewhere that you search with those criteria?)

Anyway ...
The make/model is Chaintech S1689. It's a Socket 939. You'll see that the SB/NB/whatever is covered with a heatsink.
Here are photos:
http://www.au-ja.de/review-chaintechs1689-fotos.phtml
They're NOT my pix. Note that my board has a slightly different audio port setup: the 3 jacks are horizontal, and there is a D15 game jack above them. And, the Winbond IC, (picture #10), apparently has the label (with the 'S1689').
There's no text painted on the board for the header, or to state the make or model (I checked with a magnifying glass and flashlight).

EDIT
I neglected to give some details.
It has 5 PCI slots, 1 AGP, no onboard video, 4 RAM slots (DDR), 2 IDE ports, 2 SATA ports, and Realtek audio.
/EDIT

Here is a review:
http://www.ngohq.com/?page=articles&go=read&arc_id=38
Last edited by Mike-K on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike-K
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:42 am

I think I have found a manual but the picture of the front panel connector in there is absolutely horrible.

Since you cannot really kill a board from jumpering the front panel wrong, can you put your power switch on the two front pins on the right side seeing the board from front (so basically the opposite corner from the jumper now) and see if that works? If so we can go from there I think.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:00 am

Your original second post approved. Duplicate post deleted.
This site has an extensive listing of motherboard diagrams.. http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/

Found this pinout diagram from a search.. may be the right one.. missing pin is the "key".

G--BTN o o G-BTN
HDLED+ o o HDLED-
P-LED- o o SPKR
P-LED+ o o SPKR
PWR-SW o o SPKR
PWR-SW o o RESET-SW
NO_PIN x o RESET-SW
G-LED- o o G-LED+
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:19 am

That is NOT the right layout Karl, sorry. The connections are vertical in that connector, not horizontal...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:24 am

evasive wrote:That is NOT the right layout Karl, sorry. The connections are vertical in that connector, not horizontal...

Sorry, if wrong. That is how the diagram was posted. Image was listed as for that Chaintech S1689.. http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php? ... -S1689-DOA (diagram, post #2)
This link does not have a good image of the FP pinout.. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/713717 ... =23#manual
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:22 am

Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mike-K » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Ok, I worked on it -- and found the pinout! It's between the pci slots. hmpf ... I don't know why I didn't look there.

Btw, the diagrams posted here don't apply -- the header is 9 x 2.

Also, I had another go at searching the internet (with different words) -- and I found that The Wayback Machine https://archive.org/web/ crawls deeper that I ever thought it would. You can find lots of treasure -- I got the manual and 2 bios updates.

I hooked up everything. But, when I hit the power button, I get _nothing_ (no fans, no hum out of the PS).

This is the wrong forum for such matters, so I shall find a proper forum.
Mike-K
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum