The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:48 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Ok I am new to forums so i hope this pic uploads correctly.
this is an image of one of my older i486 boards. It has the same serial code on the solder side of board. Which does not tell us much. But what does help is the manufactures serial and model ID shown on the component side of board. Mine is ISA-486SV2 REV. 2.4
This is a product of ASUS COMPUTER INTERNATIONAL

This is where you might be able to find any other info you would require for this particular board.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/ASUS-COMPUTER-INTERNATIONAL-486-VL-ISA-486SV2-VERS-79.html#.UeoIRm1TXMk

I'm hoping this helps anyone else that might have further questions on this matter.

Post subject: Re: ISA-486SV2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:43 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thanks for this. I have an ASUS ISA-486SV2 rev. 2.7 motherboard. I have installed a 486DX2 and 4Mb ram (no cache). Seems it might be dead. No beeps from speaker, no LED lights no matter where I plug them in.

Does that indicate true deadness to you? I thought even if I had nothing plugged in except the power supply, I would at least get a beep or a light. Power supply works for anything with a Molex connector, so I presume there is also power at the motherboard connectors.

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments:
File comment: ASUS ISA-486SV2 rev. 2.7 motherboard not working
ASUS ISA-486SV2-small.jpg
ASUS ISA-486SV2-small.jpg [ 221.59 KiB | Viewed 905 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:46 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Almost all 486 systems had many jumpers to set, regarding base FSB speed, multiplier, cache type and core voltages. Consult the user manual for proper jumper setups before declaring "DOA" on it.
Then too, the BIOS battery keeps the real-time clock working when shut down. Typical battery life is about 3 years. If no real-time clock activity, good chance no life signs from the system. And ensure floppy drive/ hard drive data ribbons are connected properly. Wrong ribbon polarity, main data bus will be bridged.. no data flow!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

I see a missing screw in the lower left corner of the picture. Some boards of this era require you put in all the screws for proper grounding.

I see missing cache chips in the lower right corner. If the board is not set for using no cache it might protest.

I hope you tried with a known-good power supply (from another working setup) and a known-good CPU (from another working setup).

For this level of troubleshooting, start with the board and the system speaker so not even memory. If you still get no beeps, then chances are the board indeed has died.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:07 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Quote:
..no LED lights no matter where I plug them in.

If the PSU is working and is suited to the system load, there should be at least one LED light for the power on indicator. If a keyboard is connected prior to the PSU being turned on, you should note one or two flashes of the keyboard LEDs when power comes on. If all is goo, then another flash or two maybe 5 seconds later as the POST process does a pre-operation check. If no serious faults or power overloads, a "PG good" signal is sent to the system for the FSB timers to become active. If that signal is too low, no life signs. Should be at +5 volts, no lower than +4.8 volts.
LED lights are polarity-sensitive, work only if the longer lead is to positive, shorter to negative. A green, yellow or red wire for an LED should indicate the positive lead. Should be a mark by the FP header as to polarity of LEDs. Some board designs used a common return for FP features, others used separate (preferred) returns.