The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:41 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

First of all, I am new to fixing motherboards. I bought a mixer and put the wrong power adapter in, the thing popped, smoke came out, and it would not start. I opened it and a capacitor fell out and there is stuff that looks just like dead grass right where the capacitor used to be.

I have pictures showing it all but I dont know how to post them on this forum. How do I post them? I want to change the capacitor and fix the issue but I could really use some help. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:41 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

What is a motherboard doing inside a mixer? Or are you talking about an audio mixer?

What is the brand/model of this thing? What power adapter should have been connected and what did you connect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Capacitors are rated around 30% higher than 'working' voltages. If a capacitor gets hit with higher than rated voltage, it can literally explode! Hopefully, there is enough of the label left to get the stats.
[Ex: 5 volts working, 6.3 volts max.. 12 volts working, 16 volts max.. 24 volts working, 35 volts max.. ]
Capacitors are made up by rolling thin aluminum sheets between insulating paper layers.. with an electrolyte solution (caustic!) on them. The aluminum sheets are coated to represent positive/negative polarities, and act similarly to a battery design. They charge quickly and discharge quickly. The main purpose is to ensure a pure DC power source to electronic circuits.

If this board were used in a 'mixer', as in audio, then it would have been a power supply/logic board. If excess voltage were fed to it, likely it is beyond repair. Other components surely were also "fried".
As evasive noted, provide the brand/model and other info about it. This will help to resolve your problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

my friend is using Biostar Hi-Fi motherboard since a year so far its really working good and worth it.. maybe you can consider it as an option =)