Need help fixing motherboard (Help a NEWB)

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Need help fixing motherboard (Help a NEWB)

Postby Perfectionist » Sat May 25, 2013 8:41 pm

First of all, I am new to fixing motherboards. I bought a mixer and put the wrong power adapter in, the thing popped, smoke came out, and it would not start. I opened it and a capacitor fell out and there is stuff that looks just like dead grass right where the capacitor used to be.

I have pictures showing it all but I dont know how to post them on this forum. How do I post them? I want to change the capacitor and fix the issue but I could really use some help. Thanks
Perfectionist
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun May 26, 2013 3:41 am

What is a motherboard doing inside a mixer? Or are you talking about an audio mixer?

What is the brand/model of this thing? What power adapter should have been connected and what did you connect?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 am

Capacitors are rated around 30% higher than 'working' voltages. If a capacitor gets hit with higher than rated voltage, it can literally explode! Hopefully, there is enough of the label left to get the stats.
[Ex: 5 volts working, 6.3 volts max.. 12 volts working, 16 volts max.. 24 volts working, 35 volts max.. ]
Capacitors are made up by rolling thin aluminum sheets between insulating paper layers.. with an electrolyte solution (caustic!) on them. The aluminum sheets are coated to represent positive/negative polarities, and act similarly to a battery design. They charge quickly and discharge quickly. The main purpose is to ensure a pure DC power source to electronic circuits.

If this board were used in a 'mixer', as in audio, then it would have been a power supply/logic board. If excess voltage were fed to it, likely it is beyond repair. Other components surely were also "fried".
As evasive noted, provide the brand/model and other info about it. This will help to resolve your problems.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bromee11 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 am

my friend is using Biostar Hi-Fi motherboard since a year so far its really working good and worth it.. maybe you can consider it as an option =)
bromee11
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum