What Information Should I post?

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Mr T » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:23 am

It's probably down to the BIOS ACPI support and win7 not being compatible. It will be hard to get a BIOS for that board without knowing the who made it and what system it came from. I would go back to XP or alternatively try out a free linux system on it like linuxMint, Ubuntu, SUSE etc... (and yes I saw it in the case and posted before... :oops: ).. Being an Intel P35 chipset it is pretty odd win7 is not supported straight off!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:36 am

Is your setup compatible to the system requirements of Windows 7, and if the OS is a 32-bit compatible type or 64-bit only. If chipsets and hardware items are not 64-bit compatible, then problems can arise.
Win XP has an extended service life until April 8, 2014. But it is outdated, in some ways. Yet still very viable for older programming and setups.
You may want to get an in-depth diagnostics program, such as Belarc Advisor or SiSoft Sandra which may show the true BIOS heredity.
If indeed a prototype board, then an update may not be available. But check with Wimsbios services.. maybe there is, but don't hold hope. The BIOS codes may be specific to that prototype, and there is no "mirror" of its creation.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:29 am

More likely a Q35 chipset... Whats the serial number and AA number on the sticker, it isn't quite clear?
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Frozti » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:21 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Is your setup compatible to the system requirements of Windows 7, and if the OS is a 32-bit compatible type or 64-bit only. If chipsets and hardware items are not 64-bit compatible, then problems can arise.
Win XP has an extended service life until April 8, 2014. But it is outdated, in some ways. Yet still very viable for older programming and setups.
You may want to get an in-depth diagnostics program, such as Belarc Advisor or SiSoft Sandra which may show the true BIOS heredity.
If indeed a prototype board, then an update may not be available. But check with Wimsbios services.. maybe there is, but don't hold hope. The BIOS codes may be specific to that prototype, and there is no "mirror" of its creation.

My dad says since there is other bear lake motherboards with the same processor it is possible to use a bios from one of those. He says a bios doesnt work the same way it use to and can be compatible with slightly different systems. true?
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:54 am

My dad says since there is other bear lake motherboards with the same processor it is possible to use a bios from one of those. He says a bios doesnt work the same way it use to and can be compatible with slightly different systems. true?
No, your board looks like a reference board which has/ or has not certain features that the retail or OEM board may have. This will cause problems with the BIOS update, ie the board has no PS2 sockets, most retail/OEM boards do and new ones still have at least one. This can screw a BIOS update up.. As HWJ said it is not FCC certified, which means it would be illegal to sell it.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

well crap...

Postby Frozti » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:11 am

Mr T wrote:
No, your board looks like a reference board which has/ or has not certain features that the retail or OEM board may have. This will cause problems with the BIOS update, ie the board has no PS2 sockets, most retail/OEM boards do and new ones still have at least one. This can screw a BIOS update up.. As HWJ said it is not FCC certified, which means it would be illegal to sell it.

didnt plan on selling it cuz i cant afford a mobo as good. Is there ANYTHING i can do to make it run stable with windows 7? I cant just use xp forever because it doesnt support the new direct x or bf3...
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Frozti » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Is your setup compatible to the system requirements of Windows 7, and if the OS is a 32-bit compatible type or 64-bit only. If chipsets and hardware items are not 64-bit compatible, then problems can arise.

Hmmm... I turned the computer on to start a dual boot install of xp and it said there was a cmos battery failure... I replaced it, but maybe thats why i got all the problems? Is it possible?
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Frozti wrote:

Hmmm... I turned the computer on to start a dual boot install of xp and it said there was a cmos battery failure... I replaced it, but maybe thats why i got all the problems? Is it possible?
Highly unlikely, but possible... Try a free linux operating system to check the system out. If that loads OK (you can run it as a live CD and it won't touch the hard drive) and you are using a 64bit version, any 64bit operating system should load, unless it is windows, which usually has a poroblem with older BIOS's and that is 99% of the time down to ACPI (the power interface)...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:29 am

Did you do a fresh installation of 7 or did you upgrade from xp? If you did an upgrade, I would do a fresh install. If you did a fresh install, try the upgrade from xp.
Either way your stability issue is probably linked to driver support in 7 not being up to the task.

I'd probably continue to use XP on the system myself.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 pm

The BIOS/CMOS battery is only a backup for when no AC power activates the PSU.. whether it be normal operation or stand-by. A +5 volt lead is always powered from the PSU, except when the AC mains are disconnected.
This powers the USB ports, real-time clock and the BIOS/CMOS needs.
The typical life of a BIOS/CMOS battery is around 3 years, depending on use. Once the battery starts to die, the CMOS does not have sufficient voltage to retain system settings. Could be a cause. But remote.
I'd probably continue to use XP on the system myself.

The Windows XP OS version is tried and true, and very stable.. on almost any setup. I will continue to run Win XP on two of my systems until the "fat frog" croaks!! :lol: :lol:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum