Need help identifying a Dell motherboard

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Need help identifying a Dell motherboard

Postby cwl157 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:41 am

My buddy's motherboard is shot and i need to find a replacement. It is off of a Dell XPS 400, the serial number from the board is CN-0YC523-70821-5AL-J0E2. Can anyone help me identify this board so i know the specs I need to find for a replacement?

Thanks.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:20 am

That, if I remeber right, is a BTX board. You might have the best luck seeing if Dell has one they can sell to you. Aftermarket BTX boards are rather hard to track down.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:45 pm

BTX? Is that a form factor? I am not familar with that type. The computer is like 5 years old, would you say that buying a replacement from Dell would be more expensive then just buying a new computer?

Thanks.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:23 pm

BTX is a short-lived, not widely used formfactor designed by Intel and a few computer manufacturers. Basically, it redoes the entire board for better cooling, along with a few other things. Gateway, Dell, and HP all used BTX for a short period of time.

A new board from Dell (assuming they even still sell them) would be around $200, and it would fit the case. Replacing with a new aftermarket, ATX board would require a new case as well. Intel is the only company that made BTX boards, so you'd pretty much have to dig for one.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Copper » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:41 pm

manual

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... #wp1053398

its an OEM board the only replacement is a board from Dell and the board is none standard shape and i would also guess the mounting holes ar also in a none standard place

the answer is to build from scratch
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum